Collapsed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

On 1 July my house was affected by the fire brigade putting a fire out next door which resulted in the water from the hoses seeping through and collecting under my floorboards which ended up with the whole ceiling collapsing. I am still waiting for the insurance to sort things out but am getting fed up waiting with this huge hole almost 18 sq m in size literally hanging over me! I want to get this fixed now as Christmas is coming and so have asked two builders about it. One of them said that there is a danger once the new ceiling is in place and the humidifiers are put in place to dry one wall it will cause problems and may mean the ceiling will have to be done again.

The wall that is wet is just a quarter way up the wall from the floor and is only in a section where the chimney breast used to be. It's not as wet as it was after it happened but obviously damp to the touch. I was told in August it would take three weeks approx to dry out.

After all that my question is (!) how damaging would the dehumidifier be to a newly erected ceiling?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Braunwald :D :D :D

do nothing without your insurance companies say so
if you do it on your own back you may be responsible to fund the works :eek:

Thanks for your reply. The loss adjuster said it's okay to get it done if I can't wait and to keep the receipt. Four months to get nowhere is a long time - the damage generally is extensive to include all the ground floor oak flooring as well as contents, so the ceiling is a small part but the one I really need to fix!

Sponsored Links
You'd be devastated if it goes wrong and you have to pay for it yourself.

Let it dry properly the start the work.

If the insurer is willing, maybe you could board the ceiling then plaster at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back