combi boiler illegally installed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I am looking for some advice. I live in a block of flats in Edinburgh, and my neighbour (below) has just installed a combi boiler. The flue terminal is just underneath our main living room window. And when the boiler is on, a huge plume covers a large part of the window.

It is 100mm from the boundary of the flat (my floor, their ceiling)
It is 700mm from the opening of the window

The plume is a huge nuisance for us, and we dont open the window anymore because of the gases, which I can only assume aint too friendly!

Does anyone have any details if this is a legal installation, or advice on how to reduce the plume.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Glenn

Sponsored Links
It depends. The type and model of the boiler will give you details how far below the window you can site it. However, the distance quoted would be acceptable for most gas combi installations.

Condensers are always problematical in high density housing. People on either side of the flat could also be inconvenienced by plume.

It is unlikely to be an illegal; your redress is only likely to be possible by citing the diminishing of your rights of enjoyment. This will be determined by third parties if it goes to court.

The "products of combustion" are no more harmful from a condensing boiler than from a non-c one. It's just that you can see them!
You could also call Environmental Health, but I'm afraid you'll probably not get far. There are "plume diverter" kits available for most boilers, but - what floor are you on??

The "products of combustion" are no more harmful from a condensing boiler than from a non-c one. It's just that you can see them!
You could also call Environmental Health, but I'm afraid you'll probably not get far. There are "plume diverter" kits available for most boilers, but - what floor are you on??

Or he could check the MIs & read the part where it states that when siting the flue terminal consideration must be taken to ensure that the plume is not a nuisance. Which in this case, it is. ;) Then take it up with the installer (fat chance).

The answer is to fit a plume management kit.

Sponsored Links
I've covered that. It's EH who decide whether or not it's a nuisance. ;) ;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

fan flued boilers should be at least 300 mm below an opening window or air vent.the condense coming out is mildly acidic and in time will mark your window.

I've always understood that if any pluming goes near to a neighbouring property then the householder/installer is obliged to alter or remove the offending flue if the innocent party objects.

WTF is someone in old reekie opening there windaes in february for it must be freezing

Doc J does not cover multiple occupancy properties.

8.2.1 Termination
The terminal shall be positioned so that combustion products can safely disperse at all times.

The terminal should be positioned so that the combustion products do not cause a nuisance, for example, not onto a passageway, pathway or over adjoining property.

4.3.2 The siting of the flue terminal
Where the plume from a flue terminal may cause a nuisance an extended vertical flue or high-level
termination shall be considered. Reference shall be made to the boiler manufacturer’s instructions, in case
they contain special advice. In particular, the potential for the plume to cross the following situations shall be avoided:

— a public footpath;
— a frequently used access route;
— a frequently used area (such as a patio);
a neighbouring dwelling.
It shall not be directed towards a window or door, or be sited close to a facing wall, boundary fence or
neighbouring property.

Glen, most boiler flues eject the gasses at a considerable pressure perpendicularly away from the flue terminal. So the visible "steam" is a pencil shaped plume extending for a meter or so away from the wall.

Assuming that this is the case then exactly how are they disturbing you?

Is it just a littly whispy steam you see or something else?

Tony

the steam is quite considerable. It can be anything from 1-3 ft in width depending on the time of day.

I wouldnt mind if they were as you are describing, but it does not push the steam away from the building, and it is quite a large amount of steam

Not sure if it has anything to do with the type of boiler (not sure on make/model) but it is a combi boiler

Doc J does not cover multiple occupancy properties.

I don't understand the relevance of this. The OP is not living in a multiple occupancy property but in a block of flats, each flat is a legal property in its own right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back