combi boiler illegally installed?

The simple thing is it is steam and is not poisonous or dangerous ,products of combustion are H2O and CO2. If it meets all the clearances there is not a lot you can do other than speak to neighbour and offer to pay for a plume kit that may take products further away

Sponsored Links
The simple thing is it is steam and is not poisonous or dangerous ,products of combustion are H2O and CO2. If it meets all the clearances there is not a lot you can do other than speak to neighbour and offer to pay for a plume kit that may take products further away
I certainly would not pay to abate the nuisance caused by someone else!

I think the OP should contact his local Building Control Department (or the Scottish equivalent) and seek their advice. They. at least, have the legal power to make the owner of the flue put things right.

8.2.1 Termination
The terminal shall be positioned so that combustion products can safely disperse at all times.

The terminal should be positioned so that the combustion products do not cause a nuisance, for example, not onto a passageway, pathway or over adjoining property.

4.3.2 The siting of the flue terminal
Where the plume from a flue terminal may cause a nuisance an extended vertical flue or high-level
termination shall be considered. Reference shall be made to the boiler manufacturer’s instructions, in case
they contain special advice. In particular, the potential for the plume to cross the following situations shall be avoided:

— a public footpath;
— a frequently used access route;
— a frequently used area (such as a patio);
a neighbouring dwelling.
It shall not be directed towards a window or door, or be sited close to a facing wall, boundary fence or
neighbouring property.

Doitall:

Which document are you quoting from? This is not in the latest on-line Approved Document J (2002 edition)

Sponsored Links
Doc J does not cover multiple occupancy properties.

I don't understand the relevance of this. The OP is not living in a multiple occupancy property but in a block of flats, each flat is a legal property in its own right.

The relevance is as I said, Doc J does not cover houses or flats stacked on top of each other, and neither does BS 5440-1 & 2 which answers your other question, In fact I can find nothing that deals with this situation, and have fired of a couple of emails for an explanation.

Does the horizontal measurements, re distance to the neighbours boundary become an horizontal measurement in an high rise, does the boundary start and finish at floor and ceiling level.

As I remarked earlier which sort of slipped by unnoticed, an simple way to get over the problem of fumes blowing in the window, would be to fit an balcony the length of the window, provided you leave 200mm clearance from the flue all will be well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back