Combi boiler upgrade advice

it's acidic so either needs to go into a drain (in or out) or a soakaway pot filled with lime chippings at least 500mm away from the house

Sponsored Links
Condense is acidic. Not sure what it contains but needs to be discharged correctly. Best practice is to discharge internally. Confidence should not be discharge via or into any metallic pipe. Soakaways need to be the correct distance from any foundations or footings.

Confidence should not be discharge via or into any metallic pipe

Rubbish.

It is perfectly OK to discharge into a metal waste as long as the condense is not the highest source of water; thus any acid is diluted and rinsed away.

so easy just replied with exactly the same info (abet without giving any distances) apart from the incorrect metal waste pipe bit, so pretty pointless post

Sponsored Links
Sorry cbf must have missed your post when reading question. But at least we agreed.
Dan where did you get your info on being able to discharge into metal pipes? If your correct could save a lot of time and hassle.

Reading more than one manufacturers instructions.
Asking the right questions.
Applying common sense and engineering judgement.

Take your pick.

I thought that its well known that you can discharge into a cast iron soil stack and thats about the only to fit a boiler in the old red brick mansion blocks!

A friend had a boiler fitted illegally for her using a copper condensate pipe. That was three years ago and it has not holed yet. I hope that it will soon!

Tony

Building research and gas safe say don't. Can't find any info saying it's ok. My personal experience says don't. So Dan I ask you again without attitude and sarcasm what is your source for saying it's ok to discharge condense into metallic pipes. please attempt to give a helpful and constructive answer.

Sorry cbf must have missed your post when reading question. But at least we agreed.
Dan where did you get your info on being able to discharge into metal pipes? If your correct could save a lot of time and hassle.

You can discharge the condense into the wet part of a CI pipe.

I'm driving at the moment. You've got about an hour to look a little harder and edit you're last post.

And as for being helpful.... Look to the left of this post and see my "thanks" count.

Building research and gas safe say don't. Can't find any info saying it's ok. My personal experience says don't. So Dan I ask you again without attitude and sarcasm what is your source for saying it's ok to discharge condense into metallic pipes. please attempt to give a helpful and constructive answer.

Well, times up.

I frankly don't give a rat's diseased sphincter what you think of my attitude or sarcasm. If you provide rubbish advise I'll tell you. If I am wrong I will happily apologise. Indeed I have in the past.

But to imply I am not helpful when compared to your contributions so far is lauighable.

Anyway. In the interests of educating the ignorant, click here.

You need to be gas safe registered, but I am sure you are and not some office monkey sitting in Shropshire? :LOL:

Funny how the information you claim to have not managed to find from Gas Safe is sitting two or three muse clocks from their home page? Funny indeed.

Oh, and from another company:

To: W*****@atmos.co.uk>

Yes, provided that it is not the top connection of the stack, as it needs to be diluted by waste water flowing down from above. Furthermore it must not be connected into a waste pipe that enters the stack, if that waste pipe is made of copper, as many of the older systems are.

I can probably find a few more, but like I said in a previous post:

Reading more than one manufacturers instructions.

Take your pick.

What is "building research" anyway?

Riddle me this.

4 storey mansion block. All Cast iron wastes. Customer of 2nd floor. New boiler needed.

What are you going to do?

Re-pipe the entire stack for one boiler?

For the third time:

And yes I have heard of the Condensafe. And no, not one has been refilled unless I have done so myself.

I thought that its well known that you can discharge into a cast iron soil stack and thats about the only to fit a boiler in the old red brick mansion blocks!

A friend had a boiler fitted illegally for her using a copper condensate pipe. That was three years ago and it has not holed yet. I hope that it will soon!

Tony

Perhaps it might have something to do with the operating temperature of the system and that it doesn't condense as often as it might. Drop the flow temp on the heating selector, that'll speed things along. I'm told it's generally around a year for a copper condensate to hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back