Combi or regular boiler? Please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if someone can help! We are replacing an old baxi boiler behind a gas fire and have an existing water tank. We were thinking of getting a combi boiler as we don't have a massive house...3 bedrooms, one bathroom and a shower room. I however am worried about whether the water really gets hot enough and if you have to spend a fortune to get a good combi with a good flow rate! We just don't know what make to choose...we have about £800 to spend. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
£800 parts and install? Not a chance, well not if you want one that works as well

hang on i'll bring my horse as well shall i?

edit just noticed your scond post i'm guessing now you mean 800 for boiler alone if so you will be there or there abouts!

Sponsored Links
I would think you could buy a reasonable boiler For £800.00 quid

Check your local Plumbase for Intergas and Potterton Gold.

£800 just for the boiler...
Would it not make sense to budget for boiler AND install? Most installers will supply the boiler any way, so it doesn't really matter how much the individual elements of the job are.

Combined with the fact that on install work such as boiler swaps you would be priced on goods supplied at trade price.

I wonder if Nissan will do that with my Navara or Mercedes with my Vito.

Oh my, a flying pig :D

Why £800 for the boiler what's your install budget or are you looking for one that comes with free installation?

It's not that simple anyway, you don't just pick a boiler and put it you match the boiler to the requirements and capability of the job (although some will just put in whatever you want)

Do you not know a gas man? Have your current boiler serviced? Or can get recommendation from friend/family/neighbour

If you can find a reccomended installer they will be able to find the boiler/system for your needs.

As I always say to people when I quote, the cost of the boiler is irrelevant to you the price is a "package" that will include controls upgrade powerflushing boiler etc

You should be budgeting around the £2500-3000 range depending on what is required

An old baxi back boiler will probably last years and years.

Get a good gas man to look it over.

My mums potterton is still going 40+ years and still looks perfect.
Will last forever.

Treasure it.

I'm not wanting to get into the discussion on pricing but --

If you have a water tank with an immersion heater you should think about keeping it. A combi boiler puts all your eggs in one basket. When it breaks down - as they do from time to time - you'll have no heating and also no hot water. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Our daughter learnt this the hard way recently. They had electric heaters to keep the flat warm but could only boil water in pans in the kitchen - which isn't the easiest way to get a bath! I was there when the plumber turned up to fix it after they'd been without hot water for a day already. The fan had failed. If he hadn't managed to get it running with the help of some WD40 we would all have had a decidedly dirty weekend. :eek: :eek: :eek:

you won't go wrong with an Intergas...

Thats unless you want to buy one ex stock in the north half of London where Plumbase refuse to hold any in stock. Their Area Manager must wear blinkers!

If you ask them to order one then either you have to pay the carriage or take three at a time!

But I have now discovered a Midlands branch that keep 15 in stock! They sell more Intergas and Viessmann than Worcester or Vaillant now.

They attribute the decline in sales of the last two to their dreadful customer service ( though I still thought that Worcester were pretty good ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back