Combination v. Condensing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old boiler and a single pipe system so have decided
to replace it!
Which is the best type of boiler - Combination or condensing,
ignoring the running cost or efficiency differences.
Which is the best, most reliable, quietest?
There is just the two of us and we live in a 3 bedroom bungalow. The boiler will be in a room at the back of the garage.

Henry. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
they r all condensing.

regular condensing boiler with dhw cylinder and rip out old pipework, repipe with two pipes and probably new rads. TRVs lagging pipes in garage.

Massive job.. start saving.

Thanks Paul,
I thought the combi did not need a tank?
I thought it just heated the water from the mains as it was being drawn?

Henry.

Henry there are generally 4 types of boiler in use (although there are other configurations)

Heat only boiler - this is the traditional boiler that requires pumps, zone valves and a hot water cylinder (either low or high pressure) added to provide heating and hot water.

System boiler - this normally just requires zone valves and a cylinder (either low or high pressure) to be added. (But many variants of this type of boiler are available)

Combination boilers - provides mains pressure hot water and heating. (No cylinder required)

Storage combination boiler - provides mains pressure hot water at a higher initial flowrate and heating. (The boiler itself contains a very small "cylinder")

Condensing just refers to the manor in which a little extra heat energy is extracted from the gas. All boilers above are available as a condensing boiler. Nearly all installations will require the boiler to be of a condensing type.

Your old system probably has a heat only boiler combined with a cylinder.
This system can give a higher flow rate than a combi and has the advantage of an immersion heater in the cylinder to provide backup hot water. Paul is suggesting you keep a similar setup and convert the radiator pipework to a modern 2 pipe setup.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Gasguru,
What advantages does the "System boiler" have over the
"Storage Combination Boiler" as this would seem a lot simpler to install?

Henry.

Henryv said:
What advantages does the "System boiler" have over the "Storage Combination Boiler" as this would seem a lot simpler to install?

Henry.

A system boiler is just a heat only boiler with a pump (sometimes also the zone valves) and is designed to work with an external cylinder. This setup will cost more than a storage combi in both materials and labour. Its more complicated than a storage combi setup.

Look at the manufacturers sites they often have diagrams of each system.

There is a lot more to heating systems than has been mentioned so far - existing water supply pressure/flowrates, existing pipework condition, existing taps and fitting also come into the equation.

Gasguru said:
A system boiler is just a heat only boiler with a pump (sometimes also the zone valves) .

Can also have an expansion vessel, PRV and manual or AAV, thermistors for DHW to prevent scalding etc.

I was trying to keep it simple otherwise this could go on forever :) :)

Thank you for all your advice.
Most appreciated.

Henryv said:
Most appreciated.

If you fit a combi, don`t expect to open 2 taps at once (hot water) or fill a bath in less than 45 mins.

Thanks Bamber 'G'
I am not going for the combi.
I think it will be a Vaillant system boiler.

Henry.

Bambergaspipe said:
Henryv said:
Most appreciated.

If you fit a combi, don`t expect to open 2 taps at once (hot water) or fill a bath in less than 45 mins.

Bambergaspipe said:
Henryv said:
Most appreciated.

Which combis are you on about? There are fast flowrate combis around - many of them.

Henryv said:
Thanks Bamber 'G'

Fit a high flowrate combi. High pressure showers.

Which do you recommend?
Why would a 'high flow rate combi' be better than a 'system
condensing boiler' (apart from the power shower)?
How reliable are they?

Henry.

Doctor Drivel said:
Henryv said:
Thanks Bamber 'G'

Fit a high flowrate combi. High pressure showers.

It depends on how much hot water you use. I would suggest a high flow combi would be adequate, but run a search of the forums - this is one of the most heavily debated topics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back