Condensing v Combination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Am just about to make a decision on new boiler/cylinder combination.
I own a 4 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 WC and 1 shower room terraced house.
I've v roughly calculated I’ll need about 120,000 btu in total.
I’ve had 2 separate (credible) options recommended to me:

Option 1: Moving the boiler & cylinder into the cellar. Doing this by installing a condensing boiler, together with a Megaflow cylinder (both in the cellar). A Keston boiler was recommended as there is no outside wall directly next to where it will be sited and the Keston apparently gives move flexibility regarding the route the outside pipes (?) etc will take. The down side is that this option is costly as the boiler itself costs approx. £2k, then there’s the cost of the megaflow, plus all the labour.

Option 2: Using what my plumber calls ‘one of the new generation’ of combination condensing boilers (he thought a Valliant). So obviously no cylinder and he tells me the cost of the boiler is a lot less. I’m not sure if this will give the same flexibility regarding where it can be sited (eg not sure if it can be down in the cellar). This will probably need an outside wall, presumably?

Does anyone have any views?

In particular:
1. I’ve only ever had combination boilers in flats. Are they able to deal with bigger houses? Does this sound like a sensible solution?
2. I thought combination boilers suffered from the old problem of losing hot water from one area when another is using it (typically the shower – when I’m in it!)
3. Apparently, there are cost implications to the megaflow – especially yearly servicing costs. Any idea how much this will be? We do have sufficient water pressure, so this wont be a problem.
4. What about this new generation of combination boilers?
5. Any other advice?

Cheers, I’d really appreciate any views.

Sponsored Links
In particular:

1. I’ve only ever had combination boilers in flats. Are they able to deal with bigger houses? Does this sound like a sensible solution?

No, no.

2. I thought combination boilers suffered from the old problem of losing hot water from one area when another is using it (typically the shower – when I’m in it!)

You're right.

3. Apparently, there are cost implications to the megaflow – especially yearly servicing costs. Any idea how much this will be? We do have sufficient water pressure, so this wont be a problem.

If you need to ask, you can't afford it. If you have a combination valve to change it could cost £200 +.

4. What about this new generation of combination boilers?

Water pipes still only carry water, and restrict it, and the boiler can't heat it fast enough.

5. Any other advice?

Fit a conventional vented HW tank, or have a large income!!!![/quote]

look up megaflow on t'internet. dunt exist anymore. MTS (ariston) have taken over shaffeter and got rid of the megaflow and replaced it with their better looking , less reliable, older model, the comfort/contract uv cylinder. their new name is the hydraflo. though it looks exactly like the old ariston model. i could be completely wrong and they might've not just badged up a load of old unsold uv's just before they announce a new model.
(cough)potterton performa(cough)

option 1 is your best bet, although it sounds like someone is trying to stiff you on the price. You should be looking at about 3k complete for that type of system. The keston boiler is about 900quid if you were to walk into plumbcenter and buy one.

Sponsored Links
Why does no one ever recommend or suggest storage combis here :?: not that i've fitted one or any UV stuff - only just got my G3.

Anyway, 50 or 60 litres UV in a combi box, MTS or Baxi, really high flow and reheat rates.

Anyone got any experience of these?

ArtfulBodger said:
Why does no one ever recommend or suggest storage combis here :?: not that i've fitted one or any UV stuff - only just got my G3.

Anyway, 50 or 60 litres UV in a combi box,..............

Anyone got any experience of these?

Oil combies are like this with a 70 litre store,
>
>
>
>
and a restrictor to stop the water flowing too fast. Don't need G3 for them either. You can't shove loads of water through them though as there's a finite rate at which the burner can raise the temperature, and like every combi, it's a bigger rise required in the winter.

You'll need a Keston C40. Dunno where you'd get one of those for 900.

Also there's a 'major issue' with the overflows from an unvented system sited below drain level. ie. can't be done without a lot of messing about.

Right. Have relayed all this to Mr Plumber who originally suggested the combination solution. He is adamant that this so called 'new generation' of condensing-combination boilers suffer from hardly any of the problems that I've been used to in the past and he has suggested a top of the range Vaillant - which he says he has successfully installed in much bigger detached houses (with 2/3 bathrooms) without any complaints. Still sounds a little far-fetched to me, but like I say he says he is absolutely certain that there will not be a problem. He says the cost saving in doing it this way (and not the Megaflow & Keston route) would save me about £1000.

Croydoncorgi - the idea is to fit both the megaflow as well as the Keston in the cellar, if I go down that route. Do you mean that there will be more pipework involved? Or are there safety implications? He is Corgi registered.

As for Megaflow being taken over/rebranded - would it still be worth going for the older model, then?

Cheers, J.

Get hold of the Installation Guide for the AristonU/V system (or any other) and look at the plumbing requirements for the overflows. All will then be clear. Essentially, the overflows CANNOT be left full of water (in case they freeze up) and MUST lead to a drain (so that the cellar does not fill with water (or worse, hot steam).

And a CORGI ticket has no relevance to Unvented systems. Different rules apply!

3 floor house 4 beds 1 bath but only 2 live here
vaillant 242 turbo max keeps the place like a sauna (women :rolleyes: )
works for us but ive still had the odd cold shower when er indoors turns the washer on :evil:

Crumbs this gets more and more complicated.

Croydoncorgi - thanks for comments - I was completely unaware that was the case. I know that the mains water is coming in from the front of the house (obviously) into the cellar. but are you saying that the overflow (via some form of outlet pipe????) needs to go into a drain? There is a drain in the back garden it could, in theory, go to.

Kevplumb - Couldn't find the model you mentioned on the interweb. Is yours a condensing-combination? How are you finding it for hot water, as well as heating? Does it take an age to heat up & has it been reliable? Yours are the first positive comments I've heard about combination boilers in a house that big. Any other views?

Cheers, J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back