Condensing v Combination

kevplumb said:
hot water is ok
had to change the diaphram 1nce in 5 yr no complaints but there not for everybody :)

When you say they're not for everybody, when would you recommend not going down the combi route? Still find it hard to believe it'll adequately heat & provide hot water to a large-ish 4 bedroom house.

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of things then, to avoid hot water problems in the future, I'd be better off going for a condensing boiler and megaflow, rather than a condensing-combination. There are only two of us, but I suppose you need to have an eye on the future, so I hope the extra money will be well spent. Spending the extra cash hurts now though! :cry:

One other thing - we are keeping the old rads and copper pipework (about 10 years old, I think) - apart from 4 new ones which I'm having to replace.

Presumably I'll have to have the old system flushed by the installer.

Provided he does this, is there any other danger to the new (expensive!) boiler & megaflow in attaching it to old rads & peipes etc?

Cheers, J.

to avoid hot water problems in the future, I'd be better off going for a condensing boiler and megaflow,

You obviously haven't listened. MEGAFLO AND OTHER UNVENTED CYLINDERS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!! So you would not be "better off". You would be worse off, but it's your money, should I worry?

Spending the extra cash hurts now though!

So you are trying to spend it as far as I can see. If you have room for a Megaflo, you have room for a conventional tank, which you probably have anyway. Many people have Megaflos, and they have ruddy greataintenance costs when things go wrong.

To make a condensing boiler work in condensing mode, the system has to be designed to make it condense. Otherwise they are not as beneficial as you might think.

- we are keeping the old rads and copper pipework

Sponsored Links
Something's gone mad with the forums, I can't get the last quote above to appear above the last paragraph I typed. It's been doing this for the last few days, has someone changed the code?

(The right hand side of the reply window flickers continuously too)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back