combustible isolators and passive IP66 RCD sockets

Because an isolator is not "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment ...".
Don't be ridiculous.

Within the dotted line is quite clearly, and in perfect accordance with every sane and sensible definitions of the terms without explicit over-rides in the regulations, "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment"

upload_2018-5-17_23-35-19.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
421 applies to "consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies".

The definition of "switchgear" is "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment".

Therefore it depends on whether an isolator itself is "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment".

I am merely stating what the words actually say.

Well, it is a switch but is it 'a switchgear assembly'?
You tell me - as so often seems to be the case, the definition includes an undefined term! It might well be that a switch inside an enclosure counts as an "assembly"?
It's definitely not 'an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment'. They did not use 'or' instead of 'and'.
That's the point I made - although, as I said, I do suspect that the probably intended (hence 'should have written') "and/or".
Is it similar to a consumer unit?
Again, you tell me. It is such a phrase as to be effectively meaningless. It could easily be said that nothing other than a CD/DB is particularly 'similar to a CU'.
What does the suffix 'gear' mean? - I can't find anything.
At risk of undue repetition ... you tell me!
There isn't much point applying common sense to determine what they meant when they wrote something else.
That's certainly the Jobsworth view - but I am not (and fortunately don't need to be) Mr Jobsworth.
Anyway, it's alread metal, isn't it?
The photo I posted? If so, then Yes, of course, but it was just an example of something I regarded as 'switchgear'. The point of this thread is that, as far as I am aware, the Wylex REC2S (as very widely installed in domestic installations, and still being promoted for that use by {WylEX and} TLC) is plastic.

Kind Regards, John

That's certainly the Jobsworth view - but I am not (and fortunately don't need to be) Mr Jobsworth.
Neither am I; definitely not.

I am merely answering your questions on the available evidence.

Otherwise we might as well say 421 was meant to be "...shall comply with BS-EN61439-3 OR have their enclosure constructed of non-combustible...".

Sponsored Links
I am merely answering your questions on the available evidence. .... Otherwise we might as well say 421 was meant to be "...shall comply with BS-EN61439-3 OR have their enclosure constructed of non-combustible...".
Indeed, if we felt that we could not or should not attempt to 'think for ourselves' and make a judgement (which would be the Jobsworth view).

For what it's worth, my personal view/judgement (particularly given what representatives of the LFB have said) is that the whole of 421 would make even less sense (from 'their' viewpoint, since the LFB seem to have wanted to go 'beyond BS-EN61439-3') if it had that "OR", whereas I think the definition of switchgear would make more sense if it said "...main and/or auxiliary...". But that's only my personal view/opinion/judgement - and clearly is not (as Mr Jobsworth would tell us) 'what the regulations actually say'.

In any event, even if we stick with just the "and", and taking it literally, what on earth are 'main' and 'auxiliary' switching equipments? 431 talks about an assembly of such things which is 'similar to a CU' - but, as far as I can see, CUs themselves usually contain only 'main' things ('main' switches and 'main' protective devices), not anything that I would call 'auxiliary'! What is 'auxiliary' switching equipment, and where do we find it?

Kind Regards, John

421 applies to "consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies".

The definition of "switchgear" is "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment".

Therefore it depends on whether an isolator itself is "an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment".
No it does not. You have decided to omit part of the definition of switchgear.

The photo above shows an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment, said assembly consisting of an isolator and a CU, assembled together for the operation, regulation, protection or other control of an electrical installation.

This is an assembly of ingredients:

upload_2018-5-18_10-37-26.png

This is the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe - it consists of 324 members drawn from the national parliaments of the Council of Europe's member states who assemble together four times per year.

upload_2018-5-18_10-43-18.png

Amongst the items here is an assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment for operation, regulation, protection or other control of an electrical installation.

upload_2018-5-18_10-46-59.png

Unless the isolator plays no part in the operation, regulation, protection or other control of the electrical installation, it is part of the assembly of main and auxiliary switching equipment which does.

This is a definition of the word "gear":

"A complete assembly that performs a specific function in a larger machine."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back