Come & Have A Dig At The O.P (mega banter thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, as per my previous post //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-combi-instant-105e-pressure-dropping-3-times-a-day.454953/, my EV is shot, attempts to recharge it did not work. So im considering your advice of fitting an external EV, i think im skilled enough to do some diy plumbing. So needing advice on what to buy and how its done.

I searched and read old posts, it was hard to come to any conclusion regarding this model of boiler as a lot of people with different views. People saying an external EV wont work because its an instant and the internal EV has 2 connections and holds hot water. I have room in the cupboards below my boiler as its unused. Whats this likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
Why not continue your original post as that explains your situation.

I know that you have linked to it but I give advice for free here and like to find everything all in one place to save my time.

An external EXV will work fine with an Instant.

Tony

Why not continue your original post as that explains your situation.

I know that you have linked to it but I give advice for free here and like to find everything all in one place to save my time.

An external EXV will work fine with an Instant.

Tony

I have found on other forums, if a thread has a lot of replies, people think the problem has been resolved and dont tend to bother. I could be wrong here but that's my train of thought. Thinking is a dangerous hobby :)

What size of EV will i need? Will i need any other items apart from the EV, pipe and fittings?

The cupboard surrounding the boiler is easily removed. The pipes are against the wall so that may make things awkward.

Sponsored Links
Normal EXV sizing according to your property size and the water content.

Perhaps in your other thread, but I am not looking at that as I expect every thread to contain all the relevant information.

Approx 1 litre of EXV for every 10 litres of system water.

So as sold about 8 li will be the norm.

Tony

following the faq on here, water was coming out the valve, also when i was pumping air in, air came out the bleed valve when i was releasing the pressure, the EV seems to be shot.

Normal EXV sizing according to your property size and the water content.

Perhaps in your other thread, but I am not looking at that as I expect every thread to contain all the relevant information.

Approx 1 litre of EXV for every 10 litres of system water.

So as sold about 8 li will be the norm.

Tony

Thanks Tony

Does it matter if i fit it onto the return or flow for the CH? Should i keep all pipework to 22mm? Is it just as simple as one pipe from the external EV to the CH pipes?

It should be connected to the cooler return pipe.

It can be connected with 15 mm tube.

Tony

following the faq on here, water was coming out the valve, also when i was pumping air in, air came out the bleed valve when i was releasing the pressure, the EV seems to be shot.

What other tests did you do to confirm the diaphragm is split did you drain the combi when you pumped it up what pressure did you pump it to

He did not need to when water came out of the EXV totally uncontrolled.

Anyone who works on heating knows they don't usually last more then 3 years on that model.

That's fine from Screwfix and they will deliver free the next working day.

Tony

The expansion vessel needs to be sized for the system how many radiators are fitted to the system
When adding an external unit I fit an 18 litre unit space permitting best to over size than under an 8 litre unit is only suitable for approximately 6 to 8 average sized radiators.

If you calculate the water volume Tony has posted how to work out the size

He did not need to when water came out of the EXV totally uncontrolled.

Anyone who works on heating knows they don't usually last more then 3 years on that model.

That's fine from Screwfix and they will deliver free the next working day.

Tony

The op has not stated it was uncontrolled

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
steve water comes out the schreader valve if you let all the air out the EV, when i was trying to recharge the EV, letting pressure out the system via bleed valve on radiator, pumping air to 1 bar in EV, let air out bleed valve again, doing this until the pressure in the EV was no longer affecting the system pressure, i let the pressure down to 0, as i was trying to fill the EV to 1 bar again, i ended up with air in my radiator.

Tony screw-fix dont deliver over the holiday weekend, it quotes Tuesday, so i can collect one tomorrow from the shop. I dont know the capacity of my system, i have a modern 3 bedroom semi, the baxi manual states it does up to an 80L system. I dont know the size of the screwfix 8L vessel but i would like to think it will fit in my cupboard below my boiler, once i empty it?

Is this the correct fitting to attach to the thread on the EV?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/female-coupler-15mm-x/38542

Last edited:
op nothing against you at all , just saying that is most annoying position of boiler when repairing , your lucky your unit is removable imaging installing your EV with that in the way .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back