Competent person re:gas installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I served my plumbing apprenticeship back in the early 1970's and worked in the trade full-time up until 1989 when I left to pursue other career interests. I am now building a new house and intended to install the gas heating myself. I am a bit confused as to what defines a "competent person" regarding gas installations. I consider myself competent but how would I get my work accepted for certification/building regulations?

Sponsored Links
i think you've got to be corgi registered for gas works & registered for electrical works also - check with your local Building Control dept. to make sure

The usual advice is to come to an agreement with a corgi prior to starting work about the delineation of responsibilities.

I'm sure that you can find someone reasonable to help you both save money and remain legal.

there is no definition of competent in relation to the Gas Safety regs. In practice, if you can carry out any particular work safely and according to current standards then you are competent in that particular work. You don't have to be Corgi registered if you're DIYing.

The best thing is to go through the installation instructions for the boiler you have in mind and see if there's any aspect that you feel is beyond your competence and knowledge. The thing you're most likely to have problems with is the location of the boiler and flue. This has become even more complicated since the requirement for condensing boilers to be used.

Sponsored Links
Yes Chris, but that does not get the installation accepted for Building Regulations unless he pays to get a BCO to inspect it and they dont have the relevant knowledge.

As suggested above, the best way is to get a friendly CORGI to agree the location, fit the hanging bracket, gas supply and flue and then commission the boiler and Certify it.

We would charge £180.

Tony

Tony said:
Yes Chris, but that does not get the installation accepted for Building Regulations
True, the installation wouldn't automatically be notified to Building Control, but would that actually matter? Many building works are liable to be notified to BC but are not, and the world carries on. What difference does it make in the end?

This is my iterpretation

If you are doing the work for someone else the definition of competent is [cutting through the BS.] Someone who is Corgi registered.
There is no law as such to stop you DIY but you do end up in a bit of a catch 22. It goes something like this
You install a gas appliance. If it is well fitted and inline with regs you are ok
But if something goes wrong and an incident occurs because of something you did wrong then you could be sued.
In any case Building control need to know about it and what they say goes.
As pointed out though, they usually don't know what to say and generally speaking don't have much of a clue.
If I were in your shoes I would discuss it with your BCO to see what he does have to say before you start then fit it and follow the instructions to the letter.
At the end of the day the buck stops with whoever can be proved to have fitted the installation in the event of a mis-hap whether CORGI or not.

The guarantee on the boiler probably says the boiler has to be commissioned by a CORGI - there's an "on site" cirtificate that has to be completed and kept on site (it will be in with the boiler papaers).

Yes, but can you name even one boiler manufacturer who actually refuses to honour a guarantee if there is no Benchmark or other documentary evidence of Corgi installation/commissioning?

Remember when Ariston were selling the eurofighter, they actually sent the local ariston repair man to commission it for FREE!

It turned out to be a good boiler for their spares parts arm.

Always best to avoid the item being pushed in your face, whenther it's a boiler that the builders merchants his floor to ceiling stocked with, or the car parked high above the rest with "this weeks special" on the screen!

chrishutt said:
Yes, but can you name even one boiler manufacturer who actually refuses to honour a guarantee if there is no Benchmark or other documentary evidence of Corgi installation/commissioning?

you might be surprised to hear who says this:-

3 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL BAND 'A' RATED BOILERS

From the 1st September 2005 all A rated products carry a 3 years warranty for parts and labour provided that the :

- Boiler must be correctly installed
- Boiler must be commissioned by a CORGI registered engineer
- Boiler must be registered with XXXXXX upon purchase (so 3 year can be claimed, Band A models only)
- Boiler must be correctly maintained and serviced by a qualified, competent person

Click HERE for the answer

Agreed that extended warranties are subject to such requirements (Corgi commissioning, etc.), but I don't know of any manufacturer would insist on this in relation to the basic 1 year guarantee.

A DIY installer might take the view that the cost of Corgi commissioning and servicing was greater than the value of the extra 2 years cover.

Also interesting to note that R don't mention notification to Corgi or building Control as a condition of the extended warranty.

I would say in the case of Ravenheat paying a corgi to ensure the full warranty would be the most economical course of action.

Very Interesting responses, i'm newly corgi 'd.

Chris you put good comments, but are you really in Cuba.
They dont need a lot of heat there, I was there on hols a Yr ago, fantastic.

i 'm only envious,! Any vacancies/work there??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back