"Competent Persons" (again)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to bring this one up again, but can anyone clarify whether it is still the case that in respect of non-notifiable minor works, a Minor Electrical Works Certificate can be made out by "a competent person who need not necessarily be a person registered with an electrical self-certification scheme, and may be a third party". (Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations, IEE 2005, page 19)

Just want to be sure that an MEWC signed off by a Corgi guy without a Part P qualification for some minor stuff will be legit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, as the MEIWC is basically a certificate of compliance with BS7671.

Just want to be sure that an MEWC signed off by a Corgi guy without a Part P qualification for some minor stuff will be legit.
Perfectly legit.

As long as he has good cause to believe that he is competent to certify that the work does not impair the safety of the existing installation, that the the work was designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with BS 7671:2008 (IEE Wiring Regulations),
amended to ........................(date) and that the work, to the best of his knowledge and belief, at the time of his inspection, complied with BS 7671...

Sponsored Links
guidance note 3 section 5 (MEIWC notes on completion)
part 4 Declaration 1,3

"The competant person will have a sound knowledge and experience relevant to the nature of the work undertaken and to the technical standards set down in BS7671, be fully versed in the inspection and testing procedures contained in the regulations and employ adequate testing equipment"

So assuming your guy fits that, and can test / prove earth continuity, provide Ze figure, and insulation resistance figures, etc, etc, all is good...!

I thought a Competent person:- A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

Where as a Skilled person:- A person with technical knowledge or sufficient experience to enable him/her to avoid dangers which electricity may create.

So a competent person is a skilled person who also has experience and don't just look after himself but also considers other peoples welfare.

To me the names seem the wrong way around but big red book says competent is best then skilled and then instructed and finally ordinary person.

The council asked if I had C&G 2391 and once I said I had then they seemed to be satisfied. Never asked to view it. Or any other qualifications and accepted my installation certificate and issued a completion certificate on the strength of my installation certificate which suited me but really they should have at least given the work a cursorily visit.

Thought can the council building control check the validity of my C&G plus degree without seeing paperwork is this all part of information high way now?

Don't think so.

My council will not accept my status as a qualified electrician with 20+ years experience. To them, I have the same status as a DIY'er. I told the BCO I would make an appointment to bring in my certs to show him. His response?

"That wouldn't prove anything, they could be counterfeit." :evil:

My council will not accept my status as a qualified electrician with 20+ years experience. To them, I have the same status as a DIY'er.
They are under no obligation to accept them, and if they did it would not mean you no longer had to notify - only registered electricians avoid that.

But accepting them would mean that they could collect your notification fees and not have to carry out testing. It really doesn't seem in their interests to not accept....

Carry on notifying, and insisting that they carry out testing at their expense, just like they have been clearly told they must on more than one occasion. :confused:

The only issue that I can see is that central heating control wiring is all notifiable, what did the guy actually do and where did he do it?

Don't think so.

My council will not accept my status as a qualified electrician with 20+ years experience. To them, I have the same status as a DIY'er. I told the BCO I would make an appointment to bring in my certs to show him. His response?

Shouldnt really tell you this , but if you chose to push this then they have to accept it . If you call them in for pre plaster inspection.As long as the part P bit on regs application has not been ticked.

Don't think so.

Shouldnt really tell you this , but if you chose to push this then they have to accept it . If you call them in for pre plaster inspection.As long as the part P bit on regs application has not been ticked.
Can you elaborate?

What do you mean by "Our application forms have a section to tick to say if part P is to be used"?

Part P isn't something you use, it's a regulation with which electrical work has to comply, and all work on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which are in or attached to a dwelling or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling etc etc has to comply with it, not just notifiable work.

It's not optional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back