Composite doors/prices/quality and brick work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would like to hear your experience about one particular company and what i learned from my research and i need a better understanding how to match mortar from 1929 with 2019 cr*p

We had good look around and decided to go with safestyle uk composite modern doors and side window fully fitted and with 10 year guarantee. Sounds good right?

Well the bill set us back with just little over 2k to be exact 2120£ .... Would you say that is acceptable?! Is the company actually good enough? The door is from upvc/layered wood glued together/foam in the middle i mean it is good against bowing and there is very minimal heat loss compared to solid timber. I laughed when the sales man told me that it will be 2650£ then obviously phone call to the office trick and went down 2 more times.. I was about to buy my dream car a7 and again i am set back....this house........

UIvfARM.jpg

Now what i learned there are companies out there that promise you 10 year guarantee but the window company wont fit the door it passes the responsibility/guarantee to the fitter company if the fitter company goes bust or just changes the name to a different one they are no longer obligated legally to fulfill your guarantee in case of a problem. So they use this loophole to get rid of you. Sometimes it covers only the door not the furniture or hinges perhaps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can i take this out and is it actually a good idea? i would like to get the floor level with the door and then install so called wheelchair access door frame (measured/made to fit) and it would be a lot easier to lay down laminate flooring.
K6AlpXX.jpg

khuYgxi.jpg

VUdcuHI.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to match the old and cool brick mortar?
Do i need to watch out from the frost?

Its not just cool but ideal the house has moved a lot but the bricks are still in a good shape (called CASTLE) and there are no cracks and the mortar is quite soft with quite large rocks inside.It even seems that it is not cement based or maybe just a bit of cement? What did people use back then? I need to repair this horrible part of the outside wall before they come and fit the door i think the house deserves it...

MQQfcXd.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cost seems about right, finish is poor. They should have added some pigment to the mortar to blend in. Personally I'd have centred the door and gone for two sidelight windows. It looks like you are missing a few end pieces too.

didn't spot the stair case, looked like a pile of boxes.

Sponsored Links
Boys that is my old door and window !!!!
I don't know who to trust anymore i found independent reviews about safestyle and those are the ones where people complain because in all the other places comments get taken away... So what is the difference from 700£ - 1200£ - 1800£ and 2000£ up, build quality yes but there is no rocket science.I think the price doesn't match the doors the sales man told me the door handle that looked posh cost more than 300£ now after a search i found the handle costs 25£ i feel like punching the sales man now...

Anyway how do i match the old brick work should i use lime in mortar to protect it from frost and so i can use less cement? What is the standard mix in these old houses? What would be the easiest way to match the color?

I have no idea about matching the mortar...but can I just get clarification on the first points of your post please.

Is your new door the same style and colour as the one you show in the picture?

Are you saying that Safestyle are saying your warranty is with the person who fitted it? ( Guessing their fitters are self employed)

To start I wouldn't entertain safestyle at all making your other points academic.

1 - Whether they use subbie fitters or not your contract is with them, you pay them not the subbie.
2 - Why would safestyle cover the window but not the door when the subbie fitted both?
3 - I believe safestyle use Duraflex pvc profiles, IMO its the worst profile in the market, just read the window fitters forum on facebook
4 - Ask safestyle who provides the IBG, insurance backed guarantee - them or the subbie?
5 - Every companies guarantee is different, they provide a copy to the warranty supplier and incase they cease to trade the warranty company picks up the balance of the 10 year warranty and they just mirror what the original installers guarantee covered. Some 10 year guarantees are pretty good, acutally covering EVERYTHING for 10 years, frames, glass, metallic moving parts, some only cover glass for 5 and metallic moving parts for 1 year commonly known as 10 5 1, furthermore nearly every guarantee I came across only covered workmanship for 1 year

I would go with a small local recommended company. The large company's pay fitters poorly so they throw them in as fast as they can to make money.

For a basic design color and glass comp door I would be expecting to pay around £1300 there.
For £2500 I would expect something solid core in a premium colors, With slam locks and a bar handle (or even thumb print scanner possibly) and really nice glass.

Get a builder in to sort the brickwork first and breakout the concrete threshold. Get the door company to measure up after those bits have been done.

The door will be in dark grey with 3 rhombus (diamond) style windows letter box underneath and a side window white frame for both on both sides.

2 - Why would safestyle cover the window but not the door when the subbie fitted both?
No they cover both ,must be my typo..

The only reason why i want the door fitted is because of the guarantee...
upon reading a few comments online i came across of a few people telling the same thing about the guarantee not just about this company but few others as well. Apparently some companies don't include separate insurance with the product and can abuse the system. Not sure if this is actually true...

I will visit my local shops just to see what can they offer. There are a lot of companies out there and a few ways to make them..Depends what is considered to be the best and what the worst.

I wish that there would be a place where people compare them and show how they build them and maybe even test them....

Last edited:
From April 2002 it became a requirement that the installer provide an 'insurance backed guarantee' or at least OFFER one but you'd be daft not to take it, if the installer is with a self certification body like FENSA or Certass they as well as providing the certificate of compliance they will also provide the IBG in case the installer ceases to trade, my advice is choose a small family run or one man band, its not as daft as it sounds because the smaller businesses rely on doing good work, they appreciate your review on facebook, negative feedback really hurts them, do you think your negative feedback will hurt safestyle, everest or anglian, it probably wouldn't even register when they're spending hundreds of thousands a week in TV ads

I appreciate your advice. Makes sense that the small businesses will try their best!
Once it has been done i will post my pictures here again so others have something to compare.
I noticed one web page offers a range of door makers Apeer, Solidor, Xtremedoor, RockDoor
You can customize your door as much as you like has anyone tried this before? Seem to have a few decent reviews everywhere you look.

Just to answer a couple more of your questions (no particular order)
Avoid Rockdoor they have had some issues recently with slabs bowing and pealing.
Apeer & Extreme I cant comment on.
Solidor is good I have fitted many, They are strong, Look good and work well.
You mention the fancy handle adding £300ish. This would be correct assuming bar handle/Escutcheon, As well as the handle itself (and time for fitter to fit it on site) you need a slam lock system for those doors as there is no handle to lift/engage locking system.

As mentioned go local with recommendations if possible.
A few things worth asking them:
1. Low aluminum threshold? Less of a trip hazard and harder wearing than PVC thresh. (Maybe dependent on floor levels once that slab is removed).
2. Doors under 50% glazed do not require a Fensa certificate/insurance policy but the window does. If someone is ordering just a door I normally wouldn't bother with the insurance unless specifically requested (would add around £20-30 to the price). However as you have the side window that needs the insurance it costs no extra to do the door at the same time. So just check they will include the door on the IBG.
3. Guarantee. 10 years on everything including moving parts and glass? (get that in writing somewhere).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back