Compression onto end feed reducer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I solder an end feed 28mm-22mm reducer onto 22mm pipe work and then use the 28mm compression joint in the boss of the hot water tank directly onto the 28mm end of the reducer ?

The same idea seems to work OK with a 22mm-15mm reducer provided care is taken to ensure the olive is located on the reducer. The reducer is too short to reach the pipe stop in the compression fitting, if it does then the olive sits on the shoulder of the reducer where it cannot make a good seal.

An error in manufacture of the tank ( bespoke ) means there is not enough clearance between tank and wall to get a 28 mm elbow to the boss.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber (as you know bernard), but I can't see why not as long as the olive is positioned between the end of the reducer and the shoulder so you get a good seal when it's tightened up.

That would work ok. Just pull the reducer back from the stop enough for the olive to fit on the straight part and use a bit of jointing paste and tighten as normal.

Thanks, Since posting I have re-planned the layout and can now get a stub of pipe into the tank's boss.

But now stressed out by a few end feed fittings that refuse to solder, taken from same packet, same procedure, some do some don't.

Sponsored Links
Yes to the first question, as for the fittings not soldering, that is user error.

unless you have water in the pipe.

Are you fluxing the pipe and getting it hot without going black.

What flux are you using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back