Computer memory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question on memory. I have a matched pair of 2 X 1Gb DDR2 memory for a PC.
If I install them as follows:
[code:1]
Slot1 Card Slot2 Card Result
1 2 Windows boots so far and blue screen of death
2 1 Hangs on POST
1 x Windows works OK
2 x Hangs on POST
[/code:1]

To me it seems that card 2 may be faulty, does it matter which slot card 1 and 2 are inserted? The PC is a Shuttle and memory Geil

Sponsored Links
It would seem that you have a faulty stick or your PC doesn't like the timings in it's current configuration.

Thanks,
I left the timings set to auto in bios but will have a peep at it tomorrow. I am leaning towards it being faulty as when I try the stick on its own it hangs at POST but with the other identical stick on its own it boots OK.
Cheers

i left my timings in bios to auto and it detected my memory as 500 hz instead of 800mhz spead very strange so i set them manually

Sponsored Links
Looking at what you have put I would also say this look very much like its a faulty RAM stick.

I would just take/send it back and get a replacement. Although not as common as it once was, faulty RAM sticks do still get out into the world :D I've had a few myself.

have u only got 2x slots for your memory - on some mobos there are four 2x black and 2x different colour- if you want to match then you put 1x in black and 1x in colour.

also are the speeds of the meory the same??

hth

astrab00y said:
have u only got 2x slots for your memory - on some mobos there are four 2x black and 2x different colour- if you want to match then you put 1x in black and 1x in colour.

hth

Usually you put a pair in slots of the same colour.

Don't worry, I ain't colourblind!! What was it, red - red, black to black, blue to bits?? ;)
There are only 2 slots in the PC. I tried the memory in another PC with similar results so am putting it down to a faulty stick of ram, both the memory sticks were identical (matched pair).

Igorian said:
astrab00y said:

hth

Usually you put a pair in slots of the same colour.

ive got an asus motherboard with 4x slots 2x black 2x yellow

ive got 2gb matched 1 stick in black slot and 1stick in yellow slot works fine and very quick

What is the score with them? I have a Gigabyte mobo (965P-DS4) in my main PC which has 2 red and 2 yellow memory slots, I have the 2x1gb memory installed in the red slots. I think it has something to do with being able to increase the speed of the memory but I haven't really explored it yet.

spark u can check ur mobo manual (online if u havent got one) but im sure it will say it there that u can match them by put one in another slot!

just make sure that they are exactly the same spec including the bus speed

astrab00y said:
spark u can check ur mobo manual (online if u havent got one) but im sure it will say it there that u can match them by put one in another slot!

just make sure that they are exactly the same spec including the bus speed

The point is to use them in "Dual Channel" mode, they have to be in slots on the same channel, which is usually indicated by slots of the same colour. If you have 2 black and 2 yellow, then the two blacks form one channel and the two yellows the other. If you have two memory sticks, one in each coloured slot, they will be working in single channel mode.

What's the model of your ASUS board and i'll check.

Sponsored Links
Back