Computer memory

Is the dual channel thing automatic or do you have to enable it in bios? Had a quick look in bios but couldn't see anything, will have a better look tonight. Had a look through the gigabyte mobo manual for mine, it says install the first 2 sticks of memory in the red slots but is not very clear on how the technology is enabled.
Both of the memory sticks are the same, they came as a matched pair in the same box (they are the same type of memory sticks of which I installed in the shuttle).

Sponsored Links
Usually (in the systems I have seen), it's automatic. You should get an indication during the POST if single or dual channel is being used.

Quick update, I sent the suspect memory stick (along with its twin) and recieved a new pair back. Fitted to desktop PC and is now happilly working away with 4gb in Vista.
Noticed in XP pro, it only shows 3.5gb memory, maybe it is a limitation in XP? It shows memory as running at 1.6 Ghz so I take it the dual channel thing must be working :). Just as well, my USB keyboard only gives me about 1sec of POST screen! I suppose I could go and ratch an old keyboard out but probably isn't worth it now.
Tried the program Doc Lenny linked with the new 2gb memory and didn't show any errors.

Thanks to all those involved.

Sparky

Sponsored Links
Back