Concealed shower valve to Wall Union Elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an Axis Mixer Shower set with concealed valve from B &Q.

The shower head is on an adjustable riser rail, and i would normally expect to locate the wall union elbow directly below the valve controls. HOWEVER, the outlet for the valve heads upwards (as if to a built in shower head).

The instructions say that the "valve does not allow the facility to change the position of the water outlet. The water outlet must always remain at the top of the valve". Is there anyway of solving this other than doing a maze of short pipework and elbows to get the water heading back down below the valve?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
That's strange, as the B&Q website shows it installed with a bottom outlet.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ndid=9986533&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266877169

When you say that you cannot change the position of the water outlet, are you sure you have understood that correctly in context with the rest of the instructions. Some mixers will allow you to swap hot and cold inlets reft to right, but the outlet has to remain in the centre. Rotating the mixer 180 degrees then would allow the outlet to be at the top or the bottom.

A shower called Axis is made by Aquilisa, I'm not sure if the B&Q one is, but you could make enquiries with them if there's not a help line number with your installation instructions.

[email protected]

The pipe just needs to be taken to below the valve, it's quite common on shower valves to have a top only outlet.

The shower in the picture might show an outlet at the bottom but that's because the installer needs to put it there!

Thanks Stem/Bathstyle,

It seems to be a different shower to the Aqualisa Axis.

I considered turning the valve "upside down", but the temperature and flow numbers/graphics on the cover plate would be upside down too.

I guess I'll just have to route the pipework round and down below the valve.

Would copper pipe with 4 elbows cause flow/noise problems? Wouldn't feel that confidene bending a pipe that many times and get it accurate! Would bent plastic pipe and fittings be a sensible alternative?

Cheers, Gav

Sponsored Links
Would copper pipe with 4 elbows cause flow/noise problems? Wouldn't feel that confidene bending a pipe that many times and get it accurate! Would bent plastic pipe and fittings be a sensible alternative?

depends on whats feeding it

plastic would be ok but try to do it in one lengh min joints ;)

Ideally you would normally make up a section out of situ and then tighten onto the valve, please dont turn the valve around, the indices will be all worng

I suggest end feed and copper, plastic is a bit 'floppy' :LOL:

Cheers guys, the plastic approach seems like the easy option, but I'll sleep on this one and may have a crack at the copper bending if I've got the time.

There's no instructions regarding the union elbow at all - only fitting the rise rail itself. It looks like this: .

Any tips on how to fit this or know where I might find some instructions for this type of fitting? i assume I have to
a) remove the threaded part form the chrome "housing" with a large (12mm?) hex key
b) screw this into a BSP thread elbow at the end of the pipework
c) aquapanel/tile
d) screw the chrome housing back on?

Where does the brass nut fit in the scheme of things? I'm a little worried that I'd have to tighten this up from behind (by cutting through the plasterboard in son's bedroom for access!)

[/img]

That particular fitting is unusual if the threaded brass section is removeable....anyway, I would either fit the complete fitting after tiling or unscrew the threaded brass section and fit onto your wall plate elbow/female iron connector, then tile, then fit chrome section after tiling

Whatever you decide, it's likely that the threaded section will need cutting down, no need to use the backnut, most shower outlets don't ever come with one.

Make sure you apply silicone around the hole in the tile before you fit your shower outlet.

As for the Aquapanel, no comment....apart from....I fitted a few sheets of it today :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back