concrete over cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my house there is no protective plastic sheathing or other conduits over or around the cables that have been installed in a recent re-wire. this includes around tv and phone cables.

in places, instead of bonding these areas, concrete has been applied to the walls to cover teh cables/keep them in place.

i have been told that such concrete can damage cables.
is this true?

Sponsored Links
concrete on walls? I think you mean plaster :eek:

And capping that should be put over cables is only really to protect the cables while the plasterer is skimming with his sharp float. AFAIK, plaster only has VERY long term effects on PVC. I'm sure someone else will clarify.

TV and phone cables are usually surface-clipped, unless they are being installed while a new house is being built, and before the walls are plastered.

they are most commonly stapled to skirting boards.

the cables are not being clipped to the skirting boards but are chased into the walls, before these are plastered. however, noone has covered the cables within the chasing before they bonded and, in some cases, concreted over these.

before i get the final plaster skim done i need to know whether this concrete/bonding/plaster will adversely affect the cables and affect quality

Sponsored Links
no one is contravening any regs by not using cable protection,so long as these cables are run correctly,safe zones etc. ,if the cables have been buried and bonded(plastered),then skim over and job done. I wouldnt think any one would concrete yr walls!..but then again a decent spark would use capping....and no,the plaster wont eat yr cable..in yr lifetime. ;)

sarahproperty said:
in places, instead of bonding these areas, concrete has been applied to the walls to cover teh cables/keep them in place.

that's done when the walls are a bit naff. Rendering. Pretty sure it doesn't effect the cables. Is your property old? Have you had a damp course installed?

Sand and cemment render instead of bonding plaster is quite common I`m afraid then a final skim of finnishing plaster

Copper pipe does suffer from this and requires a protective sleeve. Plaster does effect it but I believe to a lesser extent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back