Condensation in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had cavity wall insulation done, as well as putting 8 inches of loft insulation on top of that orrible itchy yellow stuff - but now i am starting to get condensation in my attic.

I have put in a new kitchen and an integrated tumble dryer with a vent pipe through the wall. as i live in a bungalow am i right in thinking that the vented heat could be rising up into the soffets hence causing my problem ??
i am presuming that if i put a couple of vents into my roof this will help prevent the problem ?

Sponsored Links
this has been covered several times recently, then main cause is lack of cross ventilation in the loft space,
the insulation recently installed is the problem - make sure there is a gap around the edges

Agree with Kev, insulation must not be place right into eaves but allow ventilation.

I did have to clear 6 black bags of cavity wall insulation from my one loft as it must have poured out from the airbrick spaces in the attic !
My wife did say that the man was complaining how much stuff he used... :rolleyes:

I spread it all over the attic above my garage then floored on top of it :LOL:

Sponsored Links
When the cavities were clear, air could circulate up them and into the soffit space, and thence into the roof.
As the cavities are now filled, you need some extra ventilation.
Pile as much insulation as you like on top of the ceiling spaces, but do not allow it to spill into the sofffit space, or close the gap between the soffit and the roof rafters.Ventilate the soffits - plenty of easily fitted grilles etc from the usual sheds.
The more draught into the loft spaces the better - but of course this has the effect of chilling any pipes or tanks that may be up there, so pay special attention to them.
John :)

Better still, get Burnerman to quote you for a new combi. No roof space pipes then :idea:

a new combi has already been fitted nige.....

clearing the airbricks and soffets has done the trick.

one further question - do i need to lag the 22mm gas pipe that runs through my loft, i am not sure these temperatures are low enough to freeze gas ???

shes too busy playing tennis to muck around with you! :LOL:

Hi

The problem you have is related to condensation, you may have masses of insulation but the insulation material itself has a low vapour resistivity, the insulation will also make the loft space a hell of a lot colder as less heat is escaping into the loft space, which will aggravate the condensation problem.

Easiest and possibly most hassle free solution would be to take up all of the insulation material and lay a vapour proof barrier (draped over joists and across the ceiling - then reinstate the insulation. This should keep the moisture laden air on the warm side of the construction!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back