conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am getting the first fix electrics ready in my kitchen .
The cooker will be against a stud wall the cooker is rated 30 amps and the hob 13amps.
I intend to put a 47mm double back box 200mm to the left hand side of the cooker upright so it takes the cooker control switch.
Working it out i will need 6mm t and e cable.
I have got some 20mm round PVC conduit will it be big enought to push the 6mm cooker cable down.
An electrician will be doing all the finishing work i am doing this before the plasterboard goes up.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
conduits come in 2 standard sizes in plastic..
20mm and 25mm..
you can get 32mm, but I've never seen it in plastic and only really seen couplers and buches etc for it in steel...

so where did you get 30mm from?

ah 20mm, in which case, probably not.. best to use 25mm.. might need to open the hole in the backbox though... have fun with that...

Sponsored Links
47mm boxes have 20 and 25mm knockouts usually. Often the knockouts are dual-punched. You an remove the 20 or 25mm portion.

6mm would go down 20mm, but would be far too tight to be practical over any real length.

Your hob is 13amp? I would question that!

Thanks coljack the back box has got a knock out bit what is bigger than the 20mm.
So lets hope its 25mm then thanks again.

Have you got the oven & ho ratings swapped round by mistak?

Thanks for that Lectrician i am a right donought tonight.
Lets start again cooker is 13amps hob is 30 amps now that looks better to me as well.
The length of condit is no more than 1800mm.
We live in a bungallow.
What do you think should i put in 20mm or 25mm.
Thanks

Definately go for 25mm.

Do you need an in and an out conduit for the cooker isolator?

they did on one site I was on SS...
installed 37 flats, with a 16A circuit and a 40A circuit..
"Cooker" switch on the 40A marked with standard "cooker"..
13A switch fused spurs on the 16A marked with "HOB"....
they weren't too pleased when I came on the job as a subie, 3 weeks from the end and I pointed out that the nice ceramic hobs wouldn't be happy on the 13A fuse, and that the ovens wouldn't be safe on a 40A circuit with no fusing....

so I had to change 37 flats worth of switches round.. nice new 45A switches engraved with "HOB" and nice new SFCU's marked with Oven...

Thanks RF iam putting the conduit down into the box then two out the bottom.
One to the hob the other to the cooker.

when the barbican was going up in the 70's, the lighting for the underpass's was done in 32mm steel which had to be double set up and down many times (through boxes before each one) to follow the concrete mouldings, what a bugger to bend all those bends.
All the vice and benders had hicky bars attached and an apprentice standing on the back of it trying to stop it flipping over! :D

conduits come in 2 standard sizes in plastic..
20mm and 25mm..
you can get 32mm, but I've never seen it in plastic and only really seen couplers and buches etc for it in steel...

so where did you get 30mm from?

Plastic conduit and fitting are available in all the same sizes as steel, from 16mm to 63mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back