Confronting racism. BBC report on a very brave lady

Sponsored Links
Quite honestly RH, I'm not sure you'll ever understand the difference between what you call racism and freedom of speech but I'll give it a go anyway.

In the last two days a radio host was sacked from his job at the BBC because he played the song; 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On'. Apparently the song contains a racially offensive word. Link below for details. He wasn't aware of the word - who was? - and the song has been played millions of times with no apparent previous issue. The host was of long service and totally unblemished character, but the BBC stazi decided to sack him anyway.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27360884

Political correctness gone mad! You can also lump in; health and safety, dumbing down of education, the emerging police state, excessive regulation (control), alarmist 'saving the planet', human rights, etc, etc. All these things are slowly but surely destroying our culture and society.

Now, this is where you get confused and the conversation deteriorates. You will conclude that I don't want workers to be safe. You will accuse me of wanting to be racist - or supporting racism. you will assume I want everybody to run amok with no regulation (or control). You will accuse me of wanton destruction of the planet without a care. Well, none of this is true.

What the BBC did doesn't help the race issue - it damages it. Your one man campaign to change people and make them all think exactly the same as you doesn't help the race issue - it damages it. Your excessive self-flagellation because of an innocent slip of the keyboard doesn't help the race issue - it damages it. I could go on.

I wonder if you can begin to understand?

Thank you John :)

Re: the BBC sacking - not one person complained (as of yesterday teatime, although I'm sure there will be some hand-wringers wailing their disgust, now that they've read about it ;) ). That's the way these things play out now, after all.
One person emailed the DJ in person, telling him of the word. DJ played the CD back, and 'fessed up to his (local radio) station boss. DJ was "asked" to fall on his sword.
(National-level) BBC later said that the call for resignation was OTT.
(All of the above from interview yesterday, with said DJ).

Quite honestly RH, I'm not sure you'll ever understand the difference between what you call racism and freedom of speech but I'll give it a go anyway.
I'm very much aware of the difference. Racially abusive comments are covered by the free speech laws.
Racism, per se, is not illegal. Discrimination is illegal. You, or I can use racially abusive comments as much as we like, in whatever media we like.
Acceptability and illegaility are two different concepts.
It's not illegal to be racist, but IMO, it's not acceptable.

In the last two days a radio host was sacked from his job at the BBC because he played the song; 'The Sun Has Got His Hat On'. Apparently the song contains a racially offensive word. Link below for details. He wasn't aware of the word - who was? - and the song has been played millions of times with no apparent previous issue. The host was of long service and totally unblemished character, but the BBC stazi decided to sack him anyway.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-27360884
I agreed, and would continue to agree that the action of the BBC was OTT.
They appear to have accepted that also because they backtracked.
Full respect to the DJ also, for apologising and offering his resignation, albeit for an unintentional mistake.
I would have accepted his apology and called it a day.

Political correctness gone mad! You can also lump in; health and safety, dumbing down of education, the emerging police state, excessive regulation (control), alarmist 'saving the planet', human rights, etc, etc. All these things are slowly but surely destroying our culture and society.
Now, this is where you get confused and the conversation deteriorates. You will conclude that I don't want workers to be safe. You will accuse me of wanting to be racist - or supporting racism. you will assume I want everybody to run amok with no regulation (or control). You will accuse me of wanton destruction of the planet without a care. Well, none of this is true.
This is where you go off on a rant and lose the plot.

What the BBC did doesn't help the race issue - it damages it.
I vehemently disagree. It doesn't damage the fight against racism. It damaged the BBC.

Your one man campaign to change people and make them all think exactly the same as you doesn't help the race issue - it damages it.
Perhaps like the BBC, my repetitive criticism of racism on GD forum, may not improve my image, but I really do not see how it damages the fight against racism.
Are you suggesting that if we did not fight it, it would disappear?

Your excessive self-flagellation because of an innocent slip of the keyboard doesn't help the race issue - it damages it. I could go on.
You naively claim that most racially abusive comments on here are innocent slips of the keyboard?
That is beyond naivety!

I wonder if you can begin to understand?
I undertsand that you want me to stop fighting racism.
Why?
Is it because I'm annoying you?
The answer is simple, stop racism and I'll stop criticising it.

Sponsored Links
I know of some people who have allowed some empty gaps in their heads/lives to be filled with religion. They eat, sleep and breathe religion, talk about little else and constantly try to 'hook' other people with their self-righteous patter.

With Coathanger, replace the word 'religion' with 'anti-discrimination' and you have the same pious bore, just playing a different record - over and over.

These zealots come over as being border-line psychoid, at the very least. Vaguely amusing at first, but the tedium sets in very quickly.

GET HELP, COATHANGER

I know of some people who have allowed some empty gaps in their heads/lives to be filled with religion. They eat, sleep and breathe religion, talk about little else and constantly try to 'hook' other people with their self-righteous patter.

Tell me about it. My sister-in-law is one such.

At least she's now given up trying to evangelise me, though.

Tell me about it. My sister-in-law is one such.

At least she's now given up trying to evangelise me, though.

We have a Jehovas living down the road. Won't take no for an answer. :rolleyes:

Not knocking people for their Christian beliefs ( maybe it is needed more than ever at present as a bulwark against some less friendly cults), it's the ones who live and breathe it and expect everyone else to do the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
The JW's don't knock on my door after I had a screaming match on my driveway. I explained to them that they must go back to their church and put up a big sign saying 'no one to knock at number **!'

It is now very funny to see them come down my road, get a book out and walk past my front door.

At the end of the day, there is no one up there!!!

JW need not to reply to my post.

Andy

With Coathanger, replace the word 'religion' with 'anti-discrimination' and you have the same pious bore, just playing a different record - over and over.

These zealots come over as being border-line psychoid, at the very least. Vaguely amusing at first, but the tedium sets in very quickly.

GET HELP, COATHANGER
So you're bored with my criticism of your offensive behaviour?
Have you ever given a thought to what others think of your racially abusive comments?

GET HELP, COATHANGER
So you're bored with my criticism of your offensive behaviour?
Have you ever given a thought to what others think of your racially abusive comments?

I think he's a cool guy. Laid back with a sense of humor. Clearly not racist but enjoys pulling your chain. To be honest RH you are probably the most abusive poster on here. So much name calling and attempts to belittle others.

Quite honestly RH, I'm not sure you'll ever understand the difference between what you call racism and freedom of speech I wonder if you can begin to understand?
That`s the trouble with "The Media" - there is always a DJ in the woodpile waiting to jump out :idea:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
i remember working in a ministry/hotel,we were refurbing it etc.
i used to buy the daily sport newspaper(purely for the editorial stories)and my work m8 was reading it at tea break.1 of the brain washed decided to pay us a visit and clocked the paper and stood there in absolute horror,my m8 who was about 55 with a wicked dry sense of humour replied 'whats wrong' there all gods children arnt they?.
well he ran out and within 10 mins every door to this room opened instantaneously and they all flooded in singing com by are me lord etc,blessing every wall and light fitting,then they headed our way i ran up to a ladder and up it like a rat up a drain pipe,i then pulled the ladder up and left my m8 to face the music,I HAVE NEVER CRIED SO MUCH WITH LAUGHTER IN MY LIFE.
he had to stand there and sing with them and do prayers.this went on for about 1/2 hr.they were totally brain washed nothing and i mean nothing mattered apart from what they were doing for there 'lord'.
the amount of money that was left to them by people who were part of there teachings was amazing.

So, as regards the OP, not one reply to the content as far as I can see, only the usual avoidance and tangents.

The clip is interesting, and the complete lack of irony as a Klan member asserts that there are no racists in the Klan is almost a perfect pastiche of some of the attitudes I read here.

The good aspects are that the racists when engaged in debate either see the folly of their views or can only present such an irrational justification for them .

And what a story that her grandmother was in the SS, that one sign of society progressing.

Sponsored Links
Back