Confused about a rewire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve moved in to a circa 100 year old house.
it has black and red PVC cable and it had a rewireable fuse board, that I got changed yesterday to a modern unit with RCBOs.

Now on to my question.

I had it inspected and tested and was told it doesn’t need to be rewired as it’s passed on the safety checkx with a few minor recommendations.
But I read that PVC cable should be changed every 30 or so years?

So I’m worried that I will decorate the house and in 10 or so years will then need to rewire.

What’s do you guys think?

I’d really rather not rewire for obvious reasons (probably have to move out and disrupt most floors and walls) but am I better off doing it now if I plan to stay in the house long term?

Confused.

James.

Sponsored Links
PVC cable lasts a long time, it doesn't need changing just because of its age.
You say the house wiring has been tested. You should have a copy of the test results. The tests include continuity and insulation resistance and any discrepancy there would (should) flag to the electrician that there is a problem that needs resolution. That resolution work should be done before the fuseboard is changed.

I assume that the electrician was registered(?), that you have been given an installation certificate(?) and that the work has been properly notified to the local authority(?).

If the tests were ok you should not be concerned.

PVC cable lasts a long time, it doesn't need changing just because of its age.
You say the house wiring has been tested. You should have a copy of the test results. The tests include continuity and insulation resistance and any discrepancy there would (should) flag to the electrician that there is a problem that needs resolution. That resolution work should be done before the fuseboard is changed.

I assume that the electrician was registered(?), that you have been given an installation certificate(?) and that the work has been properly notified to the local authority(?).

If the tests were ok you should not be concerned.
I attach test paperwork . I really appreciate your advice!

Attachments

• Elec test.pdf
    168.9 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
I attach test paperwork . I really appreciate your advice!
At a first glance, that looks absolutely fine, the EICR appears to be properly done and you should be encouraged by the SATISFACTORY report.
Others on here, with more time, might raise comments. They like to do that!

For an installation of that age there are usually a couple of things that pop up.
1. Bad, or marginal, insulation resistance measurements. Yours are 100%
2. Lighting circuits installed without earth conductors (that was the standard a few decades ago). Your circuits seem to be OK.

So, if we believe the report, all is well. Enjoy the decorating.

Don't believe everything you read.

How long would you say then?

PVC cable appears to last an extremely long time. Possibly over 100 years.
Indeed, don’t believe everything you read, especially from posts on an Internet forum!
Let’s look at the facts.
Up until about 1950, house wiring was largely rubber insulated. Over time this crumbled and replacement became somewhat important!
For general domestic use, the cabling was then PVC.
From 1950s to 2004-06: we had
Red and black line & neutral conductor identification. This is what you have.
From 2005ish the colours changed from red/black to blue brown.

Now. This is where what Winston says is actually true. Do not believe everything you read!
If PVC cable started general use in 1950, any claim of
Possibly over 100 years.
Is a load of wishful thinking and should be treated as such. 100 years isn’t up for another 28 years, even if your cable was installed as far back as 1950.
Also, the lifetime of a cable will depend on many factors:
The temperature, current loading, style of installation and many other factors will extend, or reduce, cable life.

Honestly, your EICR says things are ok. But it’s a snapshot.
Will all the cables last another 30 years? Possibly
Could some of the cables need changing within 30 years?
Possibly
Can I predict the lottery results
Possibly

Further info.
Cable manufacturers publish expected lifetimes for their cables.
Eg
Both of these state 25 years and this assuming the cables are run at their maximum design current (and hence at their operating temperature of 70°C) for that period.

Domestic installations run at a fraction of their maximum capability. That’s why they last a lot longer than the manufacturer’s published data.

But 100 years?
@winston1 Which section of your public library did you find that data? Science fiction?

But I read that PVC cable should be changed every 30 or so years?
As has been said, that is nonsense.

There is plenty of PVC cable that has been in service for 50-60 years which is still fine, and there's no real reason to believe that it will not still be fine after 100 years, maybe much longer, particularly if not subjected to factors such as excesses of temperature. It is the apparently almost 'everlasting' nature of PVC that causes the (environmental) concerns about waste PVC (and many other 'plastics') getting into the 'waste chain'.

Issues such as the 'green goo' one which arose historically for a short period were due to a specific problem, and do not relate to PVC cables in general.

Kind Regards, John

But 100 years? ... @winston1 Which section of your public library did you find that data? Science fiction?
For once I have to agree with winston. As I've just written, there is plenty of PVC cable which has been in service for 50-60 years in domestic (and possibly other) installations without showing any significant signs of deterioration, so I see no reason to believe that it won't remain OK for at least 100 years in service, if not a lot more.

Being a sceptic, I think one has to examine very critically claims by the manufacturers/sellers of cables that they need to be replaced 'frequently' (e.g. after 25 or 30years)! Where, I wonder, is there some 'independent'/objective data/opinion/guidance on this matter?

Kind Regards, John

Most houses aren't wired in such a way to be re-wired every 25 years.

I can't imagine anyone deciding to completely re-wire a house wired in 1997.

Generally, if it's PVC and there's no green goo coming out of it, it probably last 'forever'.

I think it will certainly last 100 years, and a long time after that.

Generally, if it's PVC and there's no green goo coming out of it, it probably last 'forever'. I think it will certainly last 100 years, and a long time after that.
As I've said, that's exactly my belief - and, as I said, when those in the business of manufacturing and selling cables 'advise' that they should be replaced many decades before it's probably necessary, that merely alerts the cynic within me :)

Kind Regards, John

But 100 years?
@winston1 Which section of your public library did you find that data? Science fiction?
Read my post again. Note the word "possibly".

My thanks to JohnW2 QUOTE: "there's no real reason to believe that it will not still be fine after 100 years"
and sparkwright QUOTE: "I think it will certainly last 100 years, and a long time after that."
for backing me up.
Are you going to cyber bully them as well?

An apology would be nice but going by past experiance is not expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back