rewire advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
just need some advice regarding a rewire and registration. i have been asked to do a house rewire but i am not registered, so would it be ok for me to do the rewire but not fit the new board and get a registered sparky to come in and fit it and do the testing? i have passed all the city and guilds courses, 16th edition and my test and inspect.
cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
The 17th edn regs are the current standard.
Assuming you are in England/Wales, it is possible for you to do all of the work however you must notify the local authority building control and pay a fee prior to starting work. The LABC will then oversee compliance with the building regs.
Some LABCs are offering a reduced rate if an electrician can certify the work to BS7671.

would it be ok for me to do the rewire but not fit the new board and get a registered sparky to come in and fit it and do the testing?

No, it does not work like that. Registered electricians are only (officially) permitted to notify their own work. As one of those who have done all of the training and financial investment to be a proper part of the "Part P" scenario I fully support this. I don't see why I should have to do it properly while the "grey" market takes the cream off the top without making any effort.

You have three options
1. Go and get yourself updated and invest in doing it properly by joining NAPIT, NICEIC, etc
2. Or your client could notify this work as his own DIY project and then "his" work would be tested as outlined above.
Be prepared to have to convince the LABC that you are competent. The fact that you are not up to date even with the latest regs may count against you.
3. Make friends with a registered electrician who may be prepared to work with you/oversee your work and then do the paperwork at the end. When he signs it off he is not only confirming compliance with Building Regs Part P but others too (B, E, L, etc ad nauseum). He cannot do that unless he can police the cables and accessories you install, their routes, their suitability etc etc.

BTW as you are doing this work for reward, you had better go and get yourself some public liability insurance at the very least.

Sponsored Links
i have passed all the city and guilds courses, 16th edition and my test and inspect.
If you are doing electrical work like this even a few times a year, it will be worthwhile joining one of the competent persons schemes at around £400 per year.
You will need to update to the 17th edition, but thats only a 1 day course (3 days if you do the whole thing instead of the update).

LABC fees are typically £100+, up to £300 in some areas. Being able to self notify will also allow you to do those small jobs which require notification such as fitting an outside socket or an extractor in a bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back