Confusion about boiler loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating doesn't come on some evenings and when I check the boiler I see it has a pressure of maybe 0.5 or less. I therefore increase pressure by opening the left-hand one of two taps below it and increase pressure to about 1 or 1.2. This seems to work. The next day it's about 0.5 again, however.

I take it the two taps I'm talking about are the boiler "loop". For as long as I remember the tap on the right has always been open and the left one (which I turn to add pressure) closed. I have just left it like that. Should they both normally be closed, then opened to add pressure, then closed. If the right-hand one is always open, is this what causes the pressure loss?

Another odd thing that happened one with the boiler recently was that pressure went up very high by itself (to about 2.8 or 3) and then water emitted through the overflow pipe. After that it still operated OK however, (or at least as above).

I still have heat and hot-water (with some re-pressurising, as above), so don't really want a call-out for no reason, unless it sounds like something will soon go badly wrong (it has been like this for weeks however). I'll wait till annual service.

I would be extremely doubtful that pressure-drop was due to a fault in pipe-work, as this was largely re-routed (avoiding under-floors) only a few years ago, after previous pressure problems caused by that. Any leakage would show somewhere.

Boiler is British Gas 330+

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel probably failed or empty. Fixing it here if it just needs to be repressured: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/faqs.37170/#post-251090
Get someone to replace if not.

Both of the valves on the filling loop should be closed unless actually using it to fill. Leaving one open would cause a flood if the hose was to burst.

If you continue to top up the boiler with fresh water, internal corrosion will occur. This will cause damage and eventually destroy the system.

is this what causes the pressure loss?

No.

I think you're supposed to close both valves to avoid the possibility of central heating water getting back into your cold water supply, or something like that. Someone else may be able to explain it. Many systems have only one valve. It is not going to be the cause of your loss of pressure, unless something very peculiar is happening.

I would be extremely doubtful that pressure-drop was due to a fault in pipe-work

It's probably your expansion vessel. You should get it fixed sooner rather than later. You should also add some inhibitor to thr system as you will jave been diluting it while topping up.

Call a recommended gas engineer in to service the boiler and system, point out the issues you've been having, how long you've been filling it etc, so they can target their work to correct the issues.
It should be pretty straightforward and hopefully covered within the service if the EV is holding pressure and the price of the inhibitor if needed. Doesn't look like you have a check valve on the fill loop either so that might need added too.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like John is on the right path.

Call a recommended gas engineer in to service the boiler and system, point out the issues you've been having...

Gas engineer? I don't know many RGIs with an engineering degree.

Nothing better to do?? Oh let me guess, you'll have an engineering degree. If you want to split hairs then fair enuf, hardly worth it in a DIY forum tho where most will think of their RGI as an engineer and wouldn't know the difference. Please also point that out to the millions of customers that call their GSR's a gas engineer, the gas safe register (https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/) and now that I think of it, mostly everybody else when they talk about the guy that does gas. :rolleyes::sleep:o_O

OP, call a Gas safe registered installer!!

Last edited:
always some argumentative git wants to argue the toss that you need to hold a degree to even utter the word engineer.Well...I for one have a degree in electrical/electronic engineering and Im also a gas safe Engineer!!!...but could not give a monkeys if my workmate with a cse calls himself a heating engr.

Nothing better to do?? Oh let me guess, you'll have an engineering degree. If you want to split hairs then fair enuf, hardly worth it in a DIY forum tho where most will think of their RGI as an engineer and wouldn't know the difference. Please also point that out to the millions of customers that call their GSR's a gas engineer, the gas safe register (https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/) and now that I think of it, mostly everybody else when they talk about the guy that does gas. :rolleyes::sleep:o_O

OP, call a Gas safe registered installer!!

I think(?) it's actually got two DCVs Rab?? The loop valves look a bit big for just ISO type valves.
Well, I served my time as a Plumber & Heating Engineer. No I don't have a degree, but hey most of the modern degrees are Mickey Mouse anyway.......Applied Neddlepoint etc etc.
Most 'Engineer', with letters after their name, are complete tozzpots!!

Expansion vessel probably failed or empty. Fixing it here if it just needs to be repressured: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/faqs.37170/#post-251090
Get someone to replace if not.

Both of the valves on the filling loop should be closed unless actually using it to fill. Leaving one open would cause a flood if the hose was to burst.

If you continue to top up the boiler with fresh water, internal corrosion will occur. This will cause damage and eventually destroy the system.

It looks like a Glow Worm FP? It could be the EV blocked flexi pipe, quite common on these sheds.

I think(?) it's actually got two DCVs Rab?? The loop valves look a bit big for just ISO type valves.
Yup, think you may be right m8, well spotted (y) Too quick a look before, looking closer I think I can see the check nut at the back of the left valve.

Yup, think you may be right m8, well spotted (y) Too quick a look before, looking closer I think I can see the check nut at the back of the left valve.

Oh we all make mistakes Rab, even I made one once. Anyway I completely understand, you'll certainly have your 'beer goggles' on at that time of day. The wrong side of two bottles of Buckie & several Special Brew I'd wager??!!!

engineer
ɛndʒɪˈnɪə/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who designs, builds, or maintains engines, machines, or structures.

Where does it say I need a degree to be an engineer?

OP, call a Gas safe registered installer

Many "gas safe registered installers" would have no fecking clue beyond hanging a new boiler on the wall.
That's why the OP needs a gas safe registered engineer to maintain the boiler (machine) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back