Connect to 5 amp round pin lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a new-build house with a 5 amp round-pin lighting circuit. The sockets are not where I need to place lamps with very short leads, so how can I get/buy an extension lead to connect the lamps to the sockets?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'd be surprised if you could buy them, so you'd need to get hold of trailing sockets, plugs and flex and make your own.

So why not just replace the flex on the lamps with longer lengths?

Sponsored Links
The likes of B&Q sell flex and in-line connectors, but I must say I was appalled at the very poor quality of some of the B&Q lighting accessories, particularly their in-line switches for table lamps.

As BAS said, replacing the flex with a longer piece is probably easier, and may even be cheaper!

The manufacturer must have got the flex in there in the first place. It's just a matter of figuring out how they did it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-AMP-4-...A-ROUND-PIN-PLUG-SHOP-HOTEL-PUB-/330636973079
My - that's a good idea.
4 x BS 1363 outlets on an unfused 5A plug.
Good Idea maybe but is it illegal?
As we all know the fuse, in this case the 6Amp MCB or 5Amp fuse wire, is there to protect the cable. So provided the cable is sufficiently large enough is it illegal.
As an alternative if in the above example the B1363 extension outlet was also protected by a built in 5Amp Fuse would that be legal?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As ChrisRogerssays 5A extension sockets do exist as do readymade leads and it seems there are still suppliers selling them new for example http://www.ajs.co.uk/epages/BT4316....rs/Mains_Connectors/Standard_mains_connectors (note: this is just a supplier I turned up in a quick search, I have no particularl relationship with them).

Personally though i'd just use a flex joiner or maybe IEC conenctors. BS546 plugs and sockets are relatively expensive and bulky.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They don't make 3 pin 5Amp extension leads this is the nearest example - legal who knows?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-AMP-4-...PIN-PLUG-SHOP-HOTEL-PUB-/330636973079[/QUOTE]

As long as the 5A socket is protected by a 5A fuse or MCB and all wiring is adequately sized then its perfectly legal.

Hi Sunray,

I have a similar problem to this post and you seem to know what you're talking about but I very much do not. I would just but this extension and plug my lamps into it. What do I need to do to ensure it is legal/safe?

Thanks

I googled for BS546 5A socket and then clicked on images scrolled down until found a extension lead socket first was South Africa second Here was UK at £1.95 each. Plugs freely available.

Although not used in UK many other countries still use them last one I bought were when I lived in Hong Kong. Don't know spelling but was Apoo Street in Shim Shammy Poo district market there was eye opener.

I have also bought them in Spain and Turkey so loads around just need way to find them.

Clearly you will need to make up your own lead but with plug and socket it's not rocket science. Big thing is BS546 used in search as 5A picks up standard 13A with thin cable.

Also try google for FC153BLK that will also find loads of sockets MK Duraplug

Sorry got 15A in error try This link part number SKU_16463

Also found here

I've got one 5amp socket, which is controlled by a switch on the wall, I have two lamps that I want to be controlled by this switch. Is this possible/legal/safe with the extension cable posted earlier....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back