Connecting 32 amp socket to cooker circuit

• Thread starter BigDave2589
  • Start date
He has some strange beleif that SP RCBOs don't comply with BS7671 untli the DNOs have to comply with the ESCQR in 2013.

Just another incorrect post by holmslaw :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Here we go again..... So where in BS7671 does it state that SP RCBO's are non compliant?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
So you would change a domestic consumer unit and not give thought to protecting existing lighting circuits with a 30mA RCD?

Surely lighting (along with smoke alarms, freezers etc) should generally not be protected by an RCD.

BS7671:2008 says that ALL circuits with cables buried at a depth of less than 50mm in a wall or partition must be RCD protected (except if some other special precautions are met)

BS7671:2008 says that ALL circuits with cables buried at a depth of less than 50mm in a wall or partition must be RCD protected (except if some other special precautions are met)

Hmm, that's interesting... You're right, that's what 522.6.7 says. My 'Guide to the wiring regs - 17th ed' from the ECA is wrong - that specifically says that if the wire is in the safe zones it's OK not to have an RCD.

(I'm glad our house was wired before 2008...)

My 'Guide to the wiring regs - 17th ed' from the ECA is wrong - that specifically says that if the wire is in the safe zones it's OK not to have an RCD.
A guide to the Wiring Regulations which contradicts what the regs say? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Surely not! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope it has a disclaimer in the front....

My 'Guide to the wiring regs - 17th ed' from the ECA is wrong - that specifically says that if the wire is in the safe zones it's OK not to have an RCD.
A guide to the Wiring Regulations which contradicts what the regs say? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Surely not! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope it has a disclaimer in the front....

Like this one?
While the publisher and contributors believe that the information and guidance given in this work is correct, all parties must rely upon their own skill and judgement when making use of it. Neither the publisher nor any contributor assume any liability to anyone for any loss or damage caused by any error or omission in the work, whether such error or omission is the result of negligence or any other cause. Any and all such liability is disclaimed.

Now where does that come from? :D

Hmm, that's interesting... My 'Guide to the wiring regs - 17th ed' from the ECA is wrong - that specifically says that if the wire is in the safe zones it's OK not to have an RCD.
I think its just poor wording which causes confusion (very poor for a guide which is supposed to simplify BS7671). I take it that you're referring to section D7 Residual Current Devices, D7.1, 3rd bullet point (page 125)? Also notice the difference between installations under the effective control of skilled or instructed persons (generally commercial and industrial) and those used by ordinary persons (domestic).

(I'm glad our house was wired before 2008...)
why? if it was wired to the 17th you would have more RCDs making the installation more safe, and could (in most cases) do away with unsightly bonding cables and clamps in the bathroom, 17th looks good to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back