Connecting heat bank to boiler with plate heat exchanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise? I am not a heating engineer, but I have recently purchased a vented 250L copper thermal store/heat bank tank (TS). It has a solar coil and all other connections are direct. I have connected an external plate HE for mains water pressure HW side with pump circulating to store. But I need advice for connecting to new oil condensing boiler and CH. The property is a bungalow, store and boiler are next to each other on ground floor. The pipes to radiators go via the loft which is above the height of the TS which, I believe, means I cannot connect the flow/return direct to the TS as I originally planned for an integrated system (should have got a tank with an indirect connection).
The supplier of the TS say the only solution is to have a pressurized CH system (with expansion vessel) heated directly by the boiler and for the boiler to heat the TS via a plate heat exchanger (PHE) with a pump on the boiler side and on the TS side, but are not prepared to provide a diagram of how to do it. So far I have been unsuccessful finding a qualified person locally who fully understands the use of PHEs.
Can anyone provide a diagram or recommend a good book?

I am also concerned about the following:
Will condensing oil boiler run at optimum condensing temperature in this arrangement?
Will boiler need a temperature mixing valve to help set the temperature of the return to around 55 degree C?
Are other items required to be fitted such as automatic air valves, non-return valves etc.?
When it is all connected I intend to employ an OFTEC registered installer to commission the boiler and I have found one who will install the boiler but says he will not try to setup the complete system.

Sponsored Links
If he will not Commission the entire system, how do you propose to get it "signed off"?

picture removed as resembled a fag packet,

cant you use the solar coil for a sealed system ?

No offence picasso but I think the OP needs more than a fag packet sketch with dubious connections to the store shown.
An unvented cylinder would be a better option.

Sponsored Links
no problem norcon, if he wants to pay I will do him a master piece, just showing that its not exactly rocket science to charge the store on a phe (which he already has)

I have connected an external plate HE

What size? (ie. dimensions and how many plates) if I may ask.
Can you post an image?

I may be missing the point but what was this all in aid of?

Why not just a boiler and unvented hot water cylinder.

Chuck the heat bank.

Simples.

Perhaps he was indoctrinated by Dr Drivel?

Tony

If he will not Commission the entire system, how do you propose to get it "signed off"?

Hi Boilerman2. I don't understand what you mean? I thought regulations allowed an oil boiler to be installed by a non-qualified person unless you want the boiler guarantee to apply? Are you saying the whole HW/CH system has to have a certificate?

cant you use the solar coil for a sealed system ?[/quote]

Hi Picasso. I want to use the solar coil for solar panels in the future. At the moment I just want a working HW/CH system.

An unvented cylinder would be a better option.

Hi Norcon, one of the heating engineers who bothered to take a look said that too. You are probably correct, but that does'nt help me sort out the problem I have unless I say goodbye to 1600 notes.

Regarding your other question about the PHE. It is an Alfa Lavel and using it for heating mains pressure water for the HW. I need another PHE for heating the store via the boiler.

I may be missing the point but what was this all in aid of?

Why not just a boiler and unvented hot water cylinder.

Chuck the heat bank.

Simples.

Hi dcawkwell, I want solar panels in the not-too-distant future and the CH needed completely modernising so I needed an integrated thermal store. Unfortunately I chose the wrong sort, so I need a work around.

Its looks a decent plate anyway.
The flows seem to be parallel though and would be more efficient counterflow.
Is this your work?
The larger the plate the better and you can lower the store temperature and no need for the tmv. Tmv's at point of use if required.

Connect the flow from the other plate lower down on the store if you have an appropiate tapping. That way it will prevent cold glugs being dumped into the top.
With the amount you've spent already I would do the minimum to get it running.

Does the green Wilo pump do its pumping upwards or downwards?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back