Connecting to busbars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consider a scenario with an all-RCBO CU with no incomer, e.g. the main switch external because an enclosure with switch+SPD has been used, and all-RCBO means there's no RCCB.

How to connect a L tail to the busbar? In all my years I've never come across a device to do that.

I've found this:

upload_2021-2-27_0-20-43.png

which would work, but has the unfortunate features of being labelled neutral and only rated at 63A

upload_2021-2-27_0-31-1.jpeg

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Does it have to be Eaton brand? Is this in a single phase domestic board?

Sponsored Links
The question is how to connect a L tail to a busbar without using an isolator?

Can't the tail go into the bottom of the first RCBO as well as the busbar?

EDIT. Too late, EFLI has beaten me to it.

Possibly a tail may be too big, so perhaps there needs to be a way of joining a tail to a tri-rated cable.

Put tail in one of the RCBOs with the busbar. Too easy ???
Yes, I thought of that.

I also thought am I sure that the bottom terminal of the RCBO is designed to support that? It's done with switch incomers to feed the other half of a split-load, but....

I also thought of using a device - more likely a fuse carrier to get an 80A rating.

"Terminal block" I've got a bunch of those, but they're all of the muti-cable "distribution" persuasion - no busbar terminal.

I had already tried that as a search term, looked at images as I knew what it should look like, and this Hager came up:

260KRN1901.jpg

But I never clicked on it - I looked at the thumbnail and thought "nah, that's a fuse carrier". :( TBF, I think it might have a lot of fuse-carrier case in it - I'll have to dig one out and look.

Anyway - thankee koindly zurr.

I assume you're talking about this sort of thing?
25-mm-Terminals-for-Busbar-Circuit-Breaker-Distribution-Box-Electrical-Wire-Connector-TONGOU.jpg_q50.jpg

Available from most manufacturers from all wholesalers.
To get 100A rating use two of the side entry style in adjacent MCB's and pass your 25mm² into both

Last edited:
Possibly a tail may be too big, so perhaps there needs to be a way of joining a tail to a tri-rated cable.
Twist them together and wrap them in tape, of course. :D

I've got distribution blocks which would do fine for that, but from memory they're all 36mm wide, so I might as well just stick a switch in.

I assume you're talking about this sort of thing?

Available from most manufacturers from all wholesalers.
Yeah - thought about thems. I'd certainly feel more comfortable putting one into the bottom of a device along with the bus-bar prong than a cable, even a crimped tri-rated. But incompatible with my busbar - I'd have to bend the prong 90° and then it would obscure the bottom terminal screw in the device.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back