Double bank dual RCD Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can all Dual RCD boards be converted to RCBO’s or are there limitations in some of these?

I currently have a double bank Wylex dual RCD board and am considering a complete switch to RCBO’s. I already have some RCBO’s in there.

Assuming this is possible, what is the best practice for extending the busbar to the second row of RCBO’s? How do you provide the Line connectivity across the two rows of Protective Devices?

Sponsored Links
Can all Dual RCD boards be converted to RCBO’s
Yes.

I currently have a double bank Wylex dual RCD board and am considering a complete switch to RCBO’s. I already have some RCBO’s in there.
Ok.

Assuming this is possible, what is the best practice for extending the busbar to the second row of RCBO’s?
You can buy a busbar which is long enough and replace, or
join by short length of busbar, or
join with a suitably sized wire
(people probably won't like the last suggestion but there is no reason electrically not to do it).

How do you provide the Line connectivity across the two rows of Protective Devices?
There won't be two rows when you have done it, will there?

Is that not the same question?

There won't be two rows when you have done it, will there?
Why not?
I currently have two rows of MCB’s. There are a few RCBO’s in the first row. If I converted everything to RCBO’s, they will span two rows. I can buy two lengths of busbar, one for each row but wanted to know what’s the best practice to connect the busbars across the two rows?
or
join by short length of busbar,
Notwithstanding the above, how would you join two small busbars? Would one of the RCBO’s have two busbars? Is this prone to coming lose with vibrations?

Why would you want two rows?
All RCBOs would presumably not have spaces between them.
Perhaps a difference of opinion but even if there were spaces it would still be one row with provision for more RCBOs.

I currently have two rows of MCB’s. There are a few RCBO’s in the first row. If I converted everything to RCBO’s, they will span two rows. I can buy two lengths of busbar, one for each row but wanted to know what’s the best practice to connect the busbars across the two rows?
You will still only need one long busbar or joined ones.
There is no best practice - you could, IF you wanted, join them all with wires instead of a busbar.

Notwithstanding the above, how would you join two small busbars? Would one of the RCBO’s have two busbars?
Yes, two teeth in one.

Is this prone to coming lose with vibrations?
Why would they vibrate or be more prone to becoming loose than one?

Sponsored Links
Why would you want two rows?
All RCBOs would presumably not have spaces between them.
Perhaps a difference of opinion but even if there were spaces it would still be one row with provision for more RCBOs.
I currently have approximately 16 MCB’s. This will require 16 RCBO’s and they won’t fit on a single row. I will need to spill over to the second row. Am I missing something?

I was thinking of asking "Do you mean one row above the other?" - but:
Assuming this is possible, what is the best practice for extending the busbar to the second row of RCBO’s? How do you provide the Line connectivity across the two rows of Protective Devices?

I am not sure what you actually mean.
I currently have approximately 16 MCB’s. This will require 16 RCBO’s and they won’t fit on a single row. I will need to spill over to the second row. Am I missing something?
So where are you going to put them?

My consumer unit is similar to this:
FF55BEEA-FC03-4915-94DF-BEE54C2D5D2E.jpeg

This is what I mean by RCBO’s across the two rows.

How should the busbar provide a continuous link between these two rows and ultimately back to the main switch?

For what it's worth, that's what I thought he meant, and what I thought he was describing a a "dual board".

Kind Regards, John
Isn’t the image I posted known as a “double bank board”?

Since it currently has two RCD’s to protect the MCB’s, isn’t that the “Dual RCD” aspect of it?

How should the busbar provide a continuous link between these two rows and ultimately back to the main switch?
If this is an existing DB both rows are presumably powered already? picture(s) would help

Dual RCD could also describe a board with a straight run of devices with two RCDs.

But as the title says double bank, I assumed it was one row on top of the other.

Stacked, some people call it.

Ok. My mistake. I think.
Can all Dual RCD boards be converted to RCBO’s or are there limitations in some of these?

Isn’t the image I posted known as a “double bank board”?
More commonly "stacked" - but, yes, that's what I took you to mean
Since it currently has two RCD’s to protect the MCB’s, isn’t that the “Dual RCD” aspect of it?
Yes, as it has a total of two RCDs, that makes it "dual RCD" in my book. However, as has been said, the two 'rows' must already be 'powered'.

Is you problem perhaps that one (probably both) of the rows is currently powered 'through an RCD' in that row (i.e. that row effectively has an 'RCD incomer') whereas, for all RCBOs, you want both rows to be powered by a direct connection to their busbars?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back