Connecting two 13amp appliances to the cooker circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hardwired 13a hob and 13a oven that is connected to the cooker circuit. The circuit has a 32a MCB.

Do I need a seperate spur for both the oven and hob for protection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How / where are they both connected to the circuit ? If in a dual outlet connection unit ,you could run 2 single sockets from there ,one for each .

It’s wired in to this.

Attachments

• AAB2F1A9-C83C-47D8-BA3B-3FFD9DA21FC5.jpeg
    AAB2F1A9-C83C-47D8-BA3B-3FFD9DA21FC5.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 111

What are the kilowatt ratings of oven ,and hob /What makes you think they are both 13amp appliances ?

Sponsored Links
Directly behind the oven

Attachments

• 69BA2F93-1F09-4803-9D27-27FDD8287E4A.jpeg
    69BA2F93-1F09-4803-9D27-27FDD8287E4A.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 114
Both user manuals state they are 13amp. The hob itself had a plug connected which has been cut off and wired directly into the circuit.

More than a plug cut off ,it's had the original flex removed and Twin and earth cable used instead ,and no sleeving covering the bare CPC's in the connection unit( and very likely the same at the appliances ).
Installing a single socket for each ,and using correct size FLEX from each appliance to a plug is one way forward.

More than a plug cut off ,it's had the original flex removed and Twin and earth cable used instead ,and no sleeving covering the bare CPC's in the connection unit( and very likely the same at the appliances ).
Installing a single socket for each ,and using correct size FLEX from each appliance to a plug is one way forward.
The photo was taken when the old 6.6k ceramic hob was connected to the circuit which had the thicker cable. The new induction hob had a more conventional domestic appliance type cable with a moulded plug.

The oven was replaced last year and I reused the cable from the old oven. To be honest I didn’t even realise it was 13a until I read about it.

Assuming those white cables emerging from the cooker outlet are 6.0mm2, I think I'd just cut them where the cable enters each old appliance.

And fit a single socket on the end of one of them.

And a 13amp fused connection unit on the end of the other one.

Assuming the wiring at the cooker outlet is sound.

You do ask a good question, I have looked at ovens to see if any maximum fuse size is required, and to date only found a minimum size stated. It is common for the hob and oven to share the same 32 amp supply as they would do if it was a stand alone. However as the supply current increases one has to question having a 45 amp supply to an oven.

The 13 amp fuse in the plug with portable equipment is to protect the cable not the equipment, as the rules allowed for same equipment to be sold across Europe, so the 13 amp could be swapped to 16 amp, so any fuse to protect portable equipment should be in the equipment.

However an oven and hob are not portable, so the manufacturer can stipulate protection required, and they could for example with an induction hob say semi-conductor fuses should be used, never seen that, but with fixed equipment the manufacturer is free to stipulate what they want.

So it is a care of reading the installation instructions, does it say protect with 13 amp fuse?

Many induction hobs can be configured to work with 13, 16, or 20 amp supplies, one heat area on my cooker can deliver 3.8 kW when switched to boost, there is a time limit, and other than boiling water rather useless as it would burn any food, but you need to read your installation instructions, every appliance can be different, and I would not be surprised to see an induction hob specify type A RCD's today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back