Conservatives lose majority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres many mps there acting against the will of their constituents
that is democracy.

It is a tenet of representative democracy that MPs are not delegates for their constituents.

They represent all the people of their constituency, leavers and remainers

This means that, while the views of constituents are frequently considered, the actions of MPs are governed by their determination of the best interests of their constituency, their party and the country as a whole

That means an MP can decide to choose a different path to the majority if it is in the best interests of the country.

Brexit is utter carp so MPs that care about democracy are trying to stop it

Tory MPs that are self serving for themselves and their party are happy to lie to you in order further their career

Poor old Festive wrong again, bless

Sponsored Links
Someone still doesn't understand the concept of a 'parliamentary democracy' :rolleyes:

FFS, that's what you wanted when you apparently knew exactly what you were voting for!

Is this what you mean by parliamentary democracy? Source: https://fullfact.org/online/referendum-results-by-constituency/

"Professor Hanretty estimated that 64% of seats in Great Britain probably voted to leave, or around 403 constituencies. Including the known results for Northern Ireland, that amounts to 410 constituencies voting leave (63%) and 240 voting remain.

“By constituency By Party

Lab: 148 Leave | 84 Remain

Con: 247 Leave | 80 Remain”

Once again, the numbers in this claim are not quite perfect but the trend is broadly correct.

Using Professor Hanretty’s estimates, and looking at the results from the 2015 general election, 249 Conservative-voting constituencies probably voted to leave, while 81 probably voted to remain (not including the speaker’s constituency Buckingham, which probably voted to remain, based on these estimates).

148 Labour-voting seats probably voted to leave, while 84 probably voted to remain, which is exactly what the image says.

Professor Hanretty acknowledges that we can’t be certain about these numbers though, as there is some margin for error in the calculation.

But if you take out the constituencies where there’s most uncertainty about the result, the general pattern is still the same.

Of course, there has since been another general election, so these figures don’t reflect the situation today. However, even based on the 2017 general election results, the pattern is broadly the same.

“By Region

9 Leave | 3 Remain”

The image is correct in saying that nine regions overall voted to leave and three voted to remain (Scotland, Northern Ireland and London)."

that is democracy.

It is a tenet of representative democracy that MPs are not delegates for their constituents.

They represent all the people of their constituency, leavers and remainers

This means that, while the views of constituents are frequently considered, the actions of MPs are governed by their determination of the best interests of their constituency, their party and the country as a whole

That means an MP can decide to choose a different path to the majority if it is in the best interests of the country.

Brexit is utter carp so MPs that care about democracy are trying to stop it

Tory MPs that are self serving for themselves and their party are happy to lie to you in order further their career

Poor old Festive wrong again, bless

Say it as much as you want to yourself about me being wrong doesn't make it right.

Peddling waffle on here all day Notch does nothing for your own wisdom which clearly is lacking.

Your utter sense of self righteousness fits right in with all 650 rats in the hocs.

Sponsored Links
As you’ve kindly jumped in here perhaps you can answer my question above.

Is that the man who can't say in what way the nation will benefit as a result of resigning from the Union?

Professor Hanretty

Most of it is tremendous fun, but there are some parts of it that cause me some anguish. One of the things I’m best known for is the estimates I’ve produced concerning how each Westminster constituency voted in the referendum, which was counted in local authority areas rather than constituencies. Lots of people have used those figures to argue that their MP must do X, or Y, because only X or Y reflects the result of the referendum. But there’s nothing in my estimates that says anything about how MPs should act, and so my work is being used to support political claims which make an awful lot of assumptions as to how MPs should best represent their constituents. I guess I’ve learned to accept that some of these stylised facts have a life of their own.

Is this what you mean by parliamentary democracy? Source: https://fullfact.org/online/referendum-results-by-constituency/

"Professor Hanretty estimated that 64% of seats in Great Britain probably voted to leave, or around 403 constituencies. Including the known results for Northern Ireland, that amounts to 410 constituencies voting leave (63%) and 240 voting remain.

“By constituency By Party

Lab: 148 Leave | 84 Remain

Con: 247 Leave | 80 Remain”

Once again, the numbers in this claim are not quite perfect but the trend is broadly correct.

Using Professor Hanretty’s estimates, and looking at the results from the 2015 general election, 249 Conservative-voting constituencies probably voted to leave, while 81 probably voted to remain (not including the speaker’s constituency Buckingham, which probably voted to remain, based on these estimates).

148 Labour-voting seats probably voted to leave, while 84 probably voted to remain, which is exactly what the image says.

Professor Hanretty acknowledges that we can’t be certain about these numbers though, as there is some margin for error in the calculation.

But if you take out the constituencies where there’s most uncertainty about the result, the general pattern is still the same.

Of course, there has since been another general election, so these figures don’t reflect the situation today. However, even based on the 2017 general election results, the pattern is broadly the same.

“By Region

9 Leave | 3 Remain”

The image is correct in saying that nine regions overall voted to leave and three voted to remain (Scotland, Northern Ireland and London)."
You really are confused about how we are governed...

I'm beginning to think that maybe universal suffrage was a bad move ;)

How ? Say his constituency voted 50/50 at the referendum ( about average) how can he please all of them?

Half the people voted to turn off the planes engines and half decided against that. It's about making the right choice, not balancing out one opinion vs the next.

Using that logic you can have 9 knuckle dragging Flat Earthers vs a Professor of Physics so the majority opinion is a correct reflection of the facts?

Using that logic you can have 9 knuckle dragging Flat Earthers vs a Professor of Physics so the majority opinion is a correct reflection of the facts?
Excellent comparison and a fair reflection of Brexiteer majority based upon their emotions V's logic, truth and fact.

Or to put it another way, 17.4 million knuckle dragging quitters vs an average 6 year old...

How ? Say his constituency voted 50/50 at the referendum ( about average) how can he please all of them?

Maybe if he is an intelligent, well-informed, educated person (not a Buffoon) he would take into account the chances of economic decline, job losses, collapse of agriculture, cuts in public services; and weigh these up against the risk of tax-dodging billionaires being unable to launder their money.

I'm sure Rice-Pudd did that, and came down on the side of tax-dodging billionaires. Dum plum did the same.

Some might come down on the side of the nation, and their constituents, instead.

That's what we pay them for.

Half the people voted to turn off the planes engines and half decided against that. It's about making the right choice, not balancing out one opinion vs the next.

Maybe if he is an intelligent, well-informed, educated person (not a Buffoon) he would take into account the chances of economic decline, job losses, collapse of agriculture, cuts in public services; and weigh these up against the risk of tax-dodging billionaires being unable to launder their money.

I'm sure Rice-Pudd did that, and came down on the side of tax-dodging billionaires.

Some might come down on the side of the nation, and their constituents, instead.

That's what we pay them for.
So, going back to my question ( I know you two don't like answering questions, you just spout waffle), Averageman said MP's have to look after ALL his constituents needs, how will they do that ?

So, going back to my question ( I know you two don't like answering questions, you just spout waffle), Averageman said MP's have to look after ALL his constituents needs, how will they do that ?

Sometimes people just don't have a clue what's in their best interests so in the case of a 50/50 split some people are disappointed by their MPs taking a paternal role and doing what's best despite protestations. It's not a difficult concept...well, it shouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back