Console Table - Identifying Wood Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an old console table recently. It's covered in a horrible dark, sticky varnish type coating which gives the wood grain a strange orangey hue from certain angles. Almost looks as if someone has painted gravy on there and left it to dry. It's a b****r to sand off as well.

I digress. I've started sanding the varnish off so that I can see the wood underneath. From the photos below, can anyone tell me what sort of wood it is please? I'm not very knowledgeable about these things.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-0370.JPG
    IMG-0370.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-0369.JPG
    IMG-0369.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Thank you both.

I wonder how dark I can stain it...I'm told dark stain/varnish on pine can be a disaster (and perhaps this is what has previously happened to this table). Maybe I should keep a more natural colour.

Sponsored Links
Painting "brown" furniture is quite trendy now?
Some kind of grey chalk paint might work?

Mind you, in the 60's everyone was ripping out original features which people then spent 20 years putting back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back