Consumer and breaker options

But you would never recommend Type Cs for standard domestic circuits. And discrimination hardly ever comes into it.

Sponsored Links
Like I said, in most instances a type B is adequate, there are reasons for installing type C though, I wouldn't say I'd never recommend type C.

Have to agree with Spark123,

as long as the designer can ensure that disconnection times can be satisfied then i see no problem in using a C type fuse for a domestic environment.

The OP said this:

Also I have been recommended to use C type breakers but most of the offers with complete units are offering B type.

The only circuits you might normally consider using Type Cs on in a domestic would be the lighting. The type of loads on almost all other circuits are adequately protected by Type Bs and it is rare to suffer any nuisance tripping.

Whether you, as a qualified professional may decide to use Cs on individual circuits is entirely up to you, but you would not, I hope, arbitrarily suggest to anybody that they should go out and buy a CU with a set of C-type breakers. Type Bs are supplied because Bs are the recommended type for domestic circuits. Furthermore, many wholesalers don't even stock a full range of type C breakers.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't suggest to anybody that they should go out and buy a CU when they do not have the sufficient knowledge to carry out the work. Type B may be more common in domestic, but I still wouldn't preclude using type C breakers on this basis. If my local wholesaler doesn't have one in stock they can get it next day.

dingbat said:
The OP said this:

Also I have been recommended to use C type breakers but most of the offers with complete units are offering B type.

The only circuits you might normally consider using Type Cs on in a domestic would be the lighting. The type of loads on almost all other circuits are adequately protected by Type Bs and it is rare to suffer any nuisance tripping.
Aircon?

Fridge/freezer?

ban-all-sheds said:
dingbat said:
The OP said this:

Aircon?

Fridge/freezer?

Welder.

I have one in my garage, which tripped the type B breaker the socket used to be fed on.

(or is this treading into type D teritory?)

Submains?

16A S/O radial circuits that may supply equipment with SMPS in and where the impedance of the supply is low?

Well, I'm sorry, RF, I have to better you. I have an X-ray unit in my shed, and it's connected up with a type D. Beat that, kid!! :LOL:

When I retired from the Brinks-MAT warehouse at Heathrow, I had a small smelting furnace in the garage, no fuse or MCB, straight off the incomer.

JohnD said:
When I retired from the Brinks-MAT warehouse at Heathrow, I had a small smelting furnace in the garage, no fuse or MCB, straight off the incomer.

I was building a new shed for my welder and x-ray machine so I borrowed a 200ft tower crane from work. The incomer was to small so I had to feed it directly from the sub station outside my house, no fuse, mcb or incomer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back