Consumer Unit Full - Fitting an RCD or RCBO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEM-EATON-32A-MCB-RCBO-RCD-MR30-R30-H30-POD-FITTED-30mA-32-AMP-MEMSHIELD-2-B32/221352436828
Bless your cottons! However I'm looking for a 40amp :(

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The best no-nonsense option is to replace the whole board, you have several units added to over the years, and consolidation of them into one board makes sense. Use Wylex if possible, as parts are very widely available at reasonable prices, including B&Q and Wickes etc.

Sponsored Links
Kai do you work for Electrium in their marketing department?!

Last edited:
Nope - It's just the most widely available make of unit, as a sensible price, from almost anywhere, not just from Rip-Off wholesalers that charge double the going rate with v.a.t. slapped on top of that! Hopefully no problems with getting spare parts for years to come (unless you have one of their NN boards, which was an unsuccessful range that was only available for a very short period!).

Its just a shame that Wylex (Electrium) had to recall a whole load of their MCBs a few years ago because they were a potential fire risk.

I am sure that their products are now just fine but, having spent a load of man hours swopping Wylex MCBs out as result of the recall, I've avoided Wylex etc ever since.

I now use Hager, and never, ever had a problem.

I would agree with TTC , but not everyone can afford to buy Hager, and most Jobs come down to price. To be fair the newer wylex range is fairly robust.

DS

Kai, over to you ……………..

I fitted a plastic wylex board late-ish last year. It was total tripe. The board cover came broken, and then the replacement didn't fit properly either.

Give me Hager or Eaton any day of the week - not that anyone wants to pay for Eaton

One of the positives from amendment 3 is the tupperware look and bendy boxes have gone.

DS

One of the positives from amendment 3 is the tupperware look and bendy boxes have gone.
... in favour, it seems, of lots of earthed metal very close to lethal potentials. I suppose that some people, particularly some DIYers, have to hope that the paint/powder-coating/whatever has reasonable insulating properties!

Amendment three would never have been necessary if all consumer units still had traditional twin screw secure terminal connections, and solid thick plastic enclosures, like in the Eighties. It may be a marketing ploy in all but name, to get everyone to buy a new consumer unit!

Amendment three would never have been necessary if all consumer units still had traditional twin screw secure terminal connections, and solid thick plastic enclosures, like in the Eighties.
Or if the people who fit them were properly trained and experienced.

Amendment three would never have been necessary if all consumer units still had traditional twin screw secure terminal connections, and solid thick plastic enclosures, like in the Eighties. It may be a marketing ploy in all but name, to get everyone to buy a new consumer unit!
I'm sure that, once they got wind of this, the CU manufacturers would have been quick to give their endorsement - but I fear that the LFB were probably very sincere in their belief (which, IMO, was probably misguided) that the change which they very strongly campaigning for would have an appreciable impact on safety.

I also wonder how well they will sleep at night after the first reports of DIYers (or others) dying as a result of touching earthed metal CU enclosures whilst 'playing in' CUs - they may then come to realise that not all deaths are due to fires.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back