Consumer Unit Full - Fitting an RCD or RCBO

they will fit onto some, not all. I have always found they fit onto the ones with a small red/green window to show contacts open/closed (like ypur one branded "Eaton".

The ones with red printing on are quite old and I think they will not fit.

They do not fit the current "AD" range either which are quite cheap, but the MEM MCBs are only a few pounds each. I have lots on the garage shelf, next to the box of pods.

The ones they do fit, you can prise off the plastic "Eaton" or "MEM" label from the front and it uncovers a little opening.

Sponsored Links
I need some pods for the 6A AB065SB Type B mcbs (they have the red/green windows but red writing on the fronts)currently in the mem 2000 cu and a new MEM A100HE 100A 30ma RCD. Its not the AD version from what I can tell so far. Email me if anyone has some please!

Forgive me raking up this old thread, but I'm in a similar quandry.

I've been a serial surfer here, but only just signed up to get some more info as we do more DIY items at home!

I've just switched our electric shower, and the current regs mean I've needed to upgrade the MCB from 32a to 40a and upgrade it to an RCBO. I have an old Memera 2000 CU and found the correct unit on eBay for £9 but the trip tester is broken and I cannot seem to find another!

What other brands are compatible? I know of Eaton, but are Moeller as they seem to make/own the Eaton range?

Any help greatly appreciated...

what do you mean by the trip tester, and how do you know it is broken?

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by the trip tester, and how do you know it is broken?
Thanks for the reply.

The little black button on the front should trip the unit, but it doesn't! It's been checked by a spark and is faulty, it's live but won't trip if amps exceded.

Absolutely!

I've got my refund, but struggling to find another so wondered if there was a 'supplier' of these old units? I can only seem to find used on eBay and all other Electrical supplier stock the Memshield 3 that's not compatible.

Memshield 2 is compatible, and very common.

That's the one I'm struggling to find for a reasonable fee. £50-60 online or £10-15 used (eBay)

40A RCBO is not very common. I suppose you might find a used one for £25 or so, with luck

Thanks John,

I was hoping to get an offer from a member here ;) have found two so far, bought one, and got gazumped for the other! Not common at all. No other brands that are compatible?

No other brands that are compatible?
No, and even if they did exist, there would be issues in fitting another manufacturers RCBO into that board.

Don't be tempted to buy one from the Memshield3 series either - you will find plenty of those both new and used, but they are totally incompatible and won't fit.

Why do people risk things by buying safety devices from flee Bay and similar on-line sites just to save a few pounds. There are too many sub standard counterfeits being sold via those sites.

Maybe because the OPs board is discontinued and ebay is one of the few places you can get parts now?

Maybe because the OPs board is discontinued and ebay is one of the few places you can get parts now?
That's true in this case, but Bernard's point is a good one. Mind, there are plenty of wholesalers selling copy products if not actual counterfeits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back