consumer unit probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi please can a sparky help me an elderly friend of mine was rang up by a company asking if they could give him a free wiring saftey check as they were in the area. they pointed out his earth was bad and earthed boiler water pipe gas pipe and changed consumer . his wiring is in cavity but he said they said that was safe .it cost over £800 plus they told him £175 was for certificate from council all sounds odd whats your opinions on it was he conned? consumers are very cheap are they not?

Sponsored Links
certainly sounds to me like he's been royally done over, did the guys leave tie their horses up around the corner?

sounds way OTT for what they done. have you got part P certs/electrical installation or any other documents?

not 100 % sure what he got i just spoke to him quick today hes getting older and not very sharp . he just said they told him £ 175 pounds was for certificate then i told him did the council come then because i thought electrical contractors just filled out a form he said no the council didnt come . all sounds dodggy over 800 for not many hours work

Sponsored Links
Too late now, but I'm always suspicious of anyone offering a free survey. they're going to make their money with overpriced, and possibly unnecessary, repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back