Consumer unit replacement cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question before I decide whether or not to make this my next project.
What do you think would be a fair price for a consumer unit to supplied and installed (east mids area/3 bed terrace)?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
How long's a piece of string ?

CU can be anything from £50 to £300, more likely in the range £50 to £150 - that depends heavily on what you fit. "Budget" package CU is cheaper, RCBOs instead of shared RCDs cost more - especially for good brands.

Labour anything from £150-£200 at the bottom end upwards. Depends a lot on the state of things and how much work is needed. Old house, dodgy wiring, pre-existing faults to sort (borrowed neutrals is a good one) - these all add time.

What do you think would be a fair price for a consumer unit to supplied and installed (east mids area/3 bed terrace)?
Whatever turns out to be the prices in the middle of the range of quotes you get from electricians.

Why do you want a new CU?

Oh yes, and don't forget to factor in "invisibles" like parking. I've done jobs where I can unload and then spend half an hour or more trying to find somewhere to park - it all goes on my timesheet.

Sponsored Links
Im a Part P registered Electrician and i will replace a consumer unit with upto six/eight outgoing circuits for £250/300 this is for a dual RCD 17th edition split load and subject to bonding being in place and no major faults.

I dont bother trying to sell my clients the idea of having an all RCBO board anymore as its all down to cost these days and in the domestic market they just wont spend the extra money

Im a Part P registered Electrician and i will replace a consumer unit with upto six/eight outgoing circuits for £250/300 this is for a dual RCD 17th edition split load and subject to bonding being in place and no major faults.

I dont bother trying to sell my clients the idea of having an all RCBO board anymore as its all down to cost these days and in the domestic market they just wont spend the extra money

Does that include a periodical inspection?

Is a periodical supposed to be done every 10 years?

I've just had a quote to replace my CU (House is 15 years old, but we need additional circuits), and the company who quoted said they would need to do an inspection before swapping out the CU.

I assume this is normally required, as not many people replace CU's that are less than this age?

It is recommended to have a 10 year periodical.

The company who is quoting to replace the c.u. will want to do a periodical to basically cover their a**e. There could be a whole host of problems in your wiring which will turn a (e.g.) one day easy job into a three day nightmare.

Its advisable to have an Electrical Installation Condition report carried out before changing a consumer unit on an old installation but not many people would have this done beforhand unless a replacment consumer unit was remedial work from an EICR request.

To be honest when you go to quote the job you can usually guess if there will be any problems by a quick visual looking inside the cu and a few basic tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back