Consumer Unit to replace old fuse board. Can I fit it??

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Because it's a day of a job. It's not just a case of ripping the old one off and refitting a new one. All final circuits require testing and inspecting and an Electrical Installation Certificate needs to be filled in, printed and delivered to you to comply with BS7671.
I also carry out a full PIR (Periodic Inspection Report) on the installation beforehand to ascertain the installation is safe for upgrade as it's not something I would want to find out when the old consumer unit has been removed.

I personally don't find it hard but you might. Do you have access to calibrated test equipment and are competent to use it?

What does "upgrade consumer unit" include :confused: the one liner showed at £150 looks like an aberration, a bit like "change car tyres - £35" would be.

Sponsored Links
When I was s/e, one of my customers had a quote to "upgrade fusebox".

This was quoted at £250 and involved the fitting of 6 mcb's to a wood-backed Wylex standard board. Nothing more.

I respectfully suggest you get 3 quotes for your job.

You need 3 quotes: get the spark to look at your particular job to see exactly what needs doing: quotes can vary wildly depending upon your type of supply, whether or not you have up-to-date MEB's etc...

When you have 3 quotes along with a list of what they propose to do for the money, then we can discuss it with you.

Excuse me, but a 17tyh edition board with capacity for 10 circuits, with 2 x RCD's and 10 MCB's would be £100+

Then there's earth upgrading 16mm tail to earth point, 10mm bonding of gas and water, 25mm tails for live neutral feeds.

Add pre and post testing- 5 hours
Add actual work- 4 hours for simple board change over
Add extra time for line 2 of post

Then there's the paperwork, registration with a scheme provider, test equipment, tooling, van / wheels, training cost pay back and pay back for years of college.

Consider safety and working inside regulations as more important than 'simple' cost. £500 could be a reasonable figure and that figure could mover up or down subject to survey.

No doubt you have a pile of electric devices worth far more than the cost you suggest is 'unreasonable' and yet the very heart of your electric system is the most important part.

Cutting cost is a very false economy and I'd suggest you wise up to the fact that going down the cheapest route is a very unwise move.

This is a £200 consumer unit change in Yorkshire:

cimg03706db.jpg

TTC's mantra

Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good
Good work isn't cheap
Cheap work isn't good

Hat off to you Rob. But MK aren't what they used to be, are they? The MCB's are smiling, as is the bottom of the board... :rolleyes:

That might be down to the camera angle... it looks like a wide angle shot to me.... but true MK aren't quite the quality you should expect.

Hat off to you Rob. But MK aren't what they used to be, are they? The MCB's are smiling, as is the bottom of the board... :rolleyes:
I think that's just a bad lense on the camera, everything in the picture is "smiling", even the top of the board, wall and socket.

I think it is just my camera in that photo.

But you are right, MK really seem to have shifted their priorities from quality, and now make their products to a price.

I really have gone off them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back