Consumer units

Sponsored Links
On a related note, there is an unused shower supply in the loft - could that be used for the garage?
The house is from the 1970's, I don't know how old the consumer unit is.
Not that old - 10 years perhaps. That style of MCBs etc. is no longer made, but items from the current Contactum range will fit with the use of an adaptor. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CPAD.html

All the usual devices are available: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Contactum_C/CP_Range_MCB_RCBO/index.html

Certainly does NOT require replacement.

Very helpful, thankyou!

As an aside, the circuit labelled "shower" with what appears to be a 40 A mcb is redundant because the shower now runs off the hot water supply from the boiler. Any reason I can't have that circuit appropriated for use in the garage? Running a cable from the CU to the loft looks problematic.

I'm a bit concerned about his wife putting a fork through the cable. Is it really only inches deep and not protected by any means?

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit concerned about his wife putting a fork through the cable. Is it really only inches deep and not protected by any means?

It's definitely badly buried. I can see half of it, the other half is about 6 inches deep. Tempted to dig in a conduit, the wife has been warned away for now but I can see pots of passionfruit and clematis appearing which will want burying soon.

I don't know for sure if it is armoured but I don't think so. Quite thick but very flexible, more so than the reels of swa in wickes felt. There are no terminating cable glands in the garage or loft suggesting armoured but I have yet to have a look inside a junction box.

Is it round or flat
Is it yellow, blue, grey or black
Rough dimensions would be useful (diameter if round, width and thickness if flat)

Round, black, about 9 mm wide. Can measure tomorrow if it helps.

How flexible is armoured cable? Only stuff I've felt was still on the roll and a bit hard to play with.

How flexible is armoured cable? Only stuff I've felt was still on the roll and a bit hard to play with.
It's not desperately stiff, at sizes like you're talking about. At that size, SWA would for example, be relatively easy to 'flex' it into about a 6 inch radius. Some non-armoured cables, like 'Hi_Tuf' are a fair bit stiffer.

Kind Regards, John

It's not desperately stiff, at sizes like you're talking about. At that size, it would for example, be relatively easy to 'flex' it into about a 6 inch radius.

Kind Regards, John

This stuff will easily make a 3 inch radius. Just feels like a thick bit of extension lead flex. A mate of mine who fits burglar alarms was of the opinion it was not armoured but the magnet is a good idea.

Could check inside the junction box too.

SWA generally has characteristics printed on it raised text on it too, where as flex is usually just painted on (not always though of course)

It's easier to identify by looking at the end e.g. Where it goes into the junction box in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back