Convert Conservatory polycarbonate roof into a solid roof - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After few season on not be able to use the conservatory as too cold on winter and too warm on summer. I`m now exploring the idea of converting the roof into a solid one but not sure what can be done without stripping everything down.

This is a Victorian conservatory 3x3mm around 20 years old with UPVC windows on 3 sides. idea would be to clad underneath with some plasterboard even if 9mm to avoid weight and some tiles on top as polycarbonate is now looking tired and starting to break.

Will the extra weight be absorbed by the windows or everything will collapse?

Any idea, tips would help. I need to do this in a very tight budget and will be doing myself

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IS the idea you will be removing all the window panes and using the frames to fix the plasterboard onto?

Or are you binning the lot and building frames to sit your new roof onto?

Any photos of whats currently there?

I want save as much as possible otherwise will cost me a fortune. Want keep windows and door. Basically want make room usable but not spending crazy money otherwise was going to demolish and extend extension with flat roof.

See photo

Attachments

• 20220208_145237.jpg
    20220208_145237.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 153
Do you know if the roof bars are alloy or plastic?

12.5mm plasterboard weighs around 25Kg for a full sheet from memory, so you can pro-rata it down from there.

You also could look into lightweight roofing to see what's available.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if the roof bars are alloy or plastic?

12.5mm plasterboard weighs around 25Kg for a full sheet from memory, so you can pro-rata it down from there.

You also could look into lightweight roofing to see what's available.

Roof bars are alloy profile and Windows and doors which support the roof are in UPVC

If you add a 3x2" piece of timber to the top of the door/ windows once the roof is removed you can easily go to a conventional warm rubber roof.

If you add a 3x2" piece of timber to the top of the door/ windows once the roof is removed you can easily go to a conventional warm rubber roof.

Any photos of some job previously done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back