Converting 2 rooms into 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking out loud I'm considering knocking a wall down between my kitchen and dining room, to make more space as the kitchen is tiny. (approx 14' x 3.5').

opening the wall would increase floor space to approx (14' x 13')

The wall i wish to take down is single skin brick.

The span of the joists above it are about 14' full length wood 2" x 6" with 16" centers

Directly above the brick is nothing, as far as i can tell the wall is there to stop deflection, the rooms above are partition walls constructed of wood and plasterboard - no partition walls are even located on top of the wall.

If i was to take this wall down I would need a beam with a 14' span

At a guess what size beam would i need ?

I realise theres many factors in this but i'm just throwing about an idea!

Sponsored Links
Do the joists rest on this partition or do they run parallel to it? ie is the wall supporting the joists?

If its a supporting wall you'll need Building Regs approval and to employ structural engineer to size the beam/connection at each end.

If its a supporting wall something like a 254x102 UB will be required.

Joists rest on it, I checked under the floorboards and seems to be only supporting the joists
Im not trying to get away not using a beam, but if the beams huge then i'll have to think of other plans.
Dont want to invest in calcs + Building engineer if its unfeasable!

Sponsored Links
How big is huge? I cannot tell of it is expense or height that is your main concern. If it is expense then why not ask local builders for rough cost estimate for free?

I mean huge as in i don't want it too obvious - I made an assumption of a 210mm beam and did a mock up, looked terrible.

This is what im considering, removing all the red walls, bricking up existing back door and putting french doors in the dining room
new entrance door in blue

You can see the problem i have with the size of the kitchen - plus it has a throughway

I've been putting off the last two rooms in the house because I really really don't like dealing with 3rd parties, altho i'm sensible enough to know my limits and not do anything illegal - In this case, i'll need gas / electricians / calcs and inspectors! knowing I'm perfectly capable of doing the works myself :(

You can usually get the beam sat within the existing floor-ceiling zone so no downstand although this is a bit more tricky (and consequently slightly more costly) but can be done OK. The engineer may have to do a little extra work to get a beam small enough to be lost within the available space.

I think we paid 250 for our calcs for removing a wall. If this was a rip off please don't tell me ;)

However this also included a couple of redrafts of the calcs as new issues came to light and he didn't charge anything for these. He has also done a few site visits on weekends and also dropped off calcs with us rather than us waiting for the post etc.

Anyway, no idea if its a good or bad rate but that's what we paid!

heh, turning into a lot of paperwork and cost just to remove one wall! - I reckon plans will have to scuppered :confused: probably best saving a bit more and building outover!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back