cooker cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quick 1

got a job 2 connect a oven (no hobs)

power 3200-3500
current 13-15 amp

in the maual it says it has to be on a 30-32 amp supply and 4mm heat resistance cable must be used to connect the cooker to the outlet

could you use 2.5mm heat resistance cable to connect from the cooker to the outlet with it being cappable of handling 15 amps or is it 4mm for a reason?

forgot to mension the circuit for the oven in the property at the moment is a 20amp supply and 4mm cable

Sponsored Links
got loads of 2.5mm but no 4mm that was why but i agree i will have to get some 4mm then :D :cool:

I suppose you can't have 2.5 mm flex protected by a 32 amp supply.

Then again, I would have thought 2.5 mm cable protected by 20 amp supply would be fine for a 3500 W oven...

Sponsored Links
thats what i was thinking, to be honest i went to two electrical wholesales today for 4mm flex and both of them said they would have to order me it in

Is the oven a foreign (European) product by any chance?

I'm not saying you should ignore the instructions btw.

efl....... no but that was what i thought

normaly when in fitting cookers ect it just gives you the specification

not what cable, supply to use ect

Methinks that the power and current variations relate to the possible supply voltage variations (220-240v, perhaps).

My oven is fitted with 4mm heat resistant flex, and I remember having trouble getting hold of it. I ended up ordering from TLC in the end as none of my local wholesalers stocked it.

Having said that however my oven is a double oven and is rated at around 6kW (I don't remember the exact figure).

I don't see any reason why the oven you're looking at couldn't be fitted with 2.5mm flex on a 20A, or even 16A, breaker. But on the other hand I'd always try to observe the manufacturers instructions :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back