Cooker cable - to join or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to move my cooker to an oppostite wall, is it safe to extend the 6mm cable in the ceiling/roof void with a junction box and if so what size of junction box would be adequate ? :eek:
Thank's.

Sponsored Links
all joints must be accessible for maintenance and inspection. It would be better to use a new piece of cable from the origin.

crafty1289 said:
all joints must be accessible for maintenance and inspection. It would be better to use a new piece of cable from the origin.

However if you must joint the cable then the best method is to use crimps (do not use a cheap automotive crimper - get a ratchet one) and heatshrink.

Thank you guy's for your reply, it is appreciated.

I take it from your comments that a junction box is a no-no ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As noted above "all joints must be accessible for maintenance and inspection." so you cannot hide your joint under the laminate floor.
Also make sure the junction box is adequate for 6mm cable. Most ones sold in the sheds etc are only good for 30A and 4mm cable.

The size of JB depends not only on your cable CSA but the rating of the protective device, too.

If your device is greater than 30/32A, then you'll need an appropriate JB.

Taylortwocities said:
As noted above "all joints must be accessible for maintenance and inspection." so you cannot hide your joint under the laminate floor.
Also make sure the junction box is adequate for 6mm cable. Most ones sold in the sheds etc are only good for 30A and 4mm cable.

Thank's for that Taylor, I did not know that 30A was rated for 4mm cable, much appreciated.

securespark said:
The size of JB depends not only on your cable CSA but the rating of the protective device, too.

If your device is greater than 30/32A, then you'll need an appropriate JB.

Thank's Secures true what they say, learn something every day, appreciate the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back