Cooker circuit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have a problem...........

The old kitchen format involved 2 ovens; one single, one double. Both on separate cooker points (Volex 45A + 13A socket). The single oven shared its power with a gas hob and an extractor.

The double oven was replaced and the single oven died but was left in place. Gas hob is now removed to be replaced with an induction hob - big 5 burner variety.

When I pulled out the dead single oven I found that all three appliances were wired into a fused switch behind the oven that only has a 13 amp fuse in it. This is fed from its own switched cooker point on the wall.

This don't look right to me!

The hob requires a 32 amp fused connection AND a 16 amp fused connection but the installation instructions say I can wire them in together. It doesn't specify fuse size for that. What sizes are available?

I'm assuming that wiring all this into the little fused switch socket is not a good idea. Can I get a 45/50 amp fused junction box?

I know you will say to get a pro sparks in but professionals fitted the kitchen originally and it worries me! Running a new cooker circuit in is not a viable option right now - solid concrete floors between kitchen and consumer unit.

The mini breaker on the circuit in question is a Square D B32 - is this a 32 amp job?

Sponsored Links
The hob requires a 32 amp fused connection AND a 16 amp fused connection but the installation instructions say I can wire them in together. It doesn't specify fuse size for that. What sizes are available?

are you sure about this? seems unusual to have 2 supplies

The mini breaker on the circuit in question is a Square D B32 - is this a 32 amp job?

yes its a B Type 32 Amp Mcb

Absolutely - there are two cables coming out from the hob; one 3 core and one 5 core. The hob is a 90cm five burner Fagor induction unit - claiming 10.8 kilowatts - so 48 amps doesn't seem to be out of the ballpark.

I can see which way to wire it but I don't think it will play well with a 13A socket! It also seems a bit rich for a 32 amp cooker circuit.

Can I get the MCB replaced with a larger item (I know that will be a pro job) and change the fused socket for something a little more tonka?

Some big appliances, like this, do require two feeds. Its a PITA.

Can I get the MCB replaced with a larger item (I know that will be a pro job) and change the fused socket for something a little more tonka?

No. you'll need to upgrade the cable as well as change the MCB. Better to get a new 16A feed run in and use that together with the existing 32A.

Call in the professionals!

[/code]

Sponsored Links
I know you will say to get a pro sparks in but professionals fitted the kitchen

yes, professional kitchen fitters.... not even close to the same ballpark as a proper sparky..

like equating a kid changing the tyre on his bike with a Kwik-Fit fitter...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back