Cooker DP Switch location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

Self building a kitchen dinner extension.

Been searching the net for "AN" answer to the following question without real success.. (probably because its not black and white in the Regs...

Can I put a cooker DP switch inside the adjacent base unit against the back wall (Base unit back will be extruded)?
I am aware of all the common sense factors here... i just need to know if this is OK with the building Regs and if this is ok for a part P certification.

Thank you for your help

Kind Regards
Geraud

Sponsored Links
Whether it's allowed in the regs has been debated over and over down the years without any hard and fast conclusions that I've seen. Is it done? Yes, often.

Can I suggest that if you're going to hide the Big Red Switch in a cupboard you put it near the front, rather than the back, so if anyone has to look for it they've got a better chance of finding it, and if you need it in a hurry you won't have to shift loads of pots and pans or out-of-date foodstuffs to find it!

Personally I think they look perfectly all right on the wall above the worktops, neatly lined up with al lthe other sockets and switches.

PJ

There is no requirement in the regulations for the switch at all.
Consequently therefore there are no instructions for location.

However, if you decide one is necessary for emergency switching then it makes sense to place it where it can be seen.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it would depend on the fan wattage in the oven! Only equipment which rotates needs an isolator 0.37 kW is the point where isolator is required and that would be rather a big fan.

I think back in time there was a requirement as I seem to remember a stipulation as to how far to the side of the cooker the isolator should be so in the event of a fire it could be operated.

My mother had a cooker with an eye level grill and all the controls were also eye level so with a fire one could not access the controls. Today my cooker has sensors which at a set temperature turn down the heat and as it increase turns it off so even without touching the controls it will turn its self off.

The same applies to simple things like removing the pan cooker auto turns off.

To have same rules for an antiquated cooker as for a modern cooker does not really make sense so it is left to common sense. So if you need to run outside and turn off the gas valve to isolate a gas cooker why should you not have to do the same for an electric cooker which is 100% safer to start with?

Has anybody yet found the regulation in BS7671 which states that cookers must have an isolator switch?
As EFLI has said, I do not believe that there is one (for cookers or anything else).

However, people sometimes cite the OSG, 5.1.1(iii) of which (at least in my red OSG) says "Means of isolation shall be provided .... for every item of equipment" - although it's unclear as to whether that means 'separately for each item of equipment' or 'near the equipment', nor whether the MCB or Main Switch in a CU would satisfy this requirement. It cites 537.2.1.2 of the regs, which merely says Suitable means shall be provided to prevent any equipment from being inadvertently or unintentionally energised". Whatever, none of that (apart from 537.2.1.2) is 'regulations', anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you all for the quick replies!

I will put a switch but it will go in the base unit.
i shall take on board the advise to put it near the door rather than at the back on the wall.

Cheers

G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back