Cooker switch LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

This may be a daft question but after changing my switch for the cooker the LED light remains lit when the socket is in the OFF position, now I may be wrong but shouldn't this switch off when the power is switched off from the socket??????????

The load and supply wires are to the correct points in the socket.

Any ideas? The cooker and hob work when the switch is on by the way

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
What have you connected to each terminal? DIYers often get confused here.

Which LED light? Do you mean the little red neon indicator in the cooker control unit for the cooker? Are you absolutely sure you have the supply and load wires all the correct way around?

What have you connected to each terminal? DIYers often get confused here.

The earth cable :D

I do have some common sense LOL

I'd checked and re-checked the cable config was as it was in the old socket that was taken off, all connections are exactly the same bar the old socket had a visible wire to the LED

The switch is a 45A D.P. Switch

Sponsored Links
There aren't too many possibilities here:

1) The switch is wrongly marked or wrongly wired inside.

2) The cables aren't what you think they are. This will not apply if the cooker cable comes straight out of the switch because you'll know exactly which wires are which.

3) Current is somehow leaking across the switch - or through our old friend the hidden capacitor - to the neon (or LED). If this is the case it will go out if you turn on a ring while the wall switch is off.

What happens if you remove the cooker wires completely from the load side? Does it light up? Now move the supply wires across to the load side terminals. Does it still light up?

PS: You are using the words switch and socket to describe the same thing - or are you? Is this a two pole switch with four terminals (plus earths) or is there a 13 amp socket on there too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back