Cooker switches and connection units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Girlfriend wants an induction hob to replace the gas one as she's not happy cleaning it.

I was going to install a 40A circuit for the oven and hob (oven is presently plugged in to ring main, but this is a spur off a spur :( ). I've chosen 40A to future-proof the installation of a double oven.

I'll need to use 10mm² cable as the cable will go under some insulation, clipped to a wall.

Question: do most 45A cooker switches and CCUs accept 10mm² cable?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It would be crazy if they didn't since, with many installation methods, 10mm² is the smallest cable that has a 45A current-carrying capacity (and even 10mm² doesn't with some installation methods).

Kind Regards, John.

Hi

Girlfriend wants an induction hob to replace the gas one as she's not happy cleaning it.

I was going to install a 40A circuit for the oven and hob (oven is presently plugged in to ring main, but this is a spur off a spur :( ). I've chosen 40A to future-proof the installation of a double oven.

I'll need to use 10mm² cable as the cable will go under some insulation, clipped to a wall.

Many thanks in advance.
You would be better of with a 50 Amp Cooker switch and a dual cooker control unit - if you are using 10mm cable.

You will have trouble fitting two 10mm cables into the standard 45Amp Cooker switch. You will also need a deep backbox - and a fair bit of strength.

The best option is to avoid insulation and fit 6mm cable. Clipped direct you will get a ccc of 46Amps just over 10kw before diversity.
Also bear in mind what the manufacturers instructions say - if they provide a cable, I bet they don't provide a 10mm - probably just 4mm.

Sponsored Links
THanks for the replies.

I think I'll stick with a dual cooker outlet plate (I have not imagined them have I?). As long as I can get the cables in and out of the switch then I'm a happy bunny.

Good point about the cable size on the unit. Hopefully (I haven't got the big book with me) 4mm should be OK on a 40A fault, but I'll check if it comes to it, and install a downstream breaker if it fails.

I'm not keen on clipped direct as I'm planning the insulation (kitchen to garage, single skin at present) as a method to hide the cables in time for a utility room next year which will take half the garage up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back