Hob & oven circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to decide what is the best / neatest way of rewiring my electric hob 6.6kW and electric oven 1kW. Oven is fitted with a 13A plug.

Current wiring is 10mm from 40A fuse, to 45A isolator switch to JB (which i cant access due to kitchen cupboard) spurred 3 ways,

1. To JB connecting hob.
2. To socket on cable
3. To surface 1g socket for fridge

New 10mm cable installed. 40A fuse will be 40A MCB + RCD.
New 45A isolator.
Fridge moved to socket circuit

And this is where i cant decide the best solution.

I have pulled the hob cable through to the isolator switch with the aim of removing all of the old JBs.

So the oven?

1. Think I cant use 2.5mm from the isolator to a socket due to no suitable fused protection for the 2.5mm cable

2. FCU for the oven spurred from the cooker isolator? Will i struggle to terminate the cables in the 45A isolator switch? Presume I'd have to run 10mm to the FCU which may not fit into the FCU? Any recommended products?

3. Continue 10mm down from cooker isolator to a splitter and wire oven & hob from that? Which product?

4.put oven on socket circuit. (Would prefer to put on cooker circuit)

5. Another option that i havent considered.

Pictures of existing wiring of which all of it is being removed or replaced.

JB to cooker. (Not sure but it might only be a 20A JB...)
20190503_200020.jpg

Oven socket
20190503_200032.jpg

Another JB is hidden behind back of cupboard.
3 cables are fridge socket, oven cable/ socket, to hob JB.
1 10mm cable goes up to the cooker isolator.

20190503_200037.jpg

New chase with old cable off to the right outside of zone. I could put an FCU to the right of the 2g ba k box.

20190501_210416.jpg

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. Think I cant use 2.5mm from the isolator to a socket due to no suitable fused protection for the 2.5mm cable

Take the 10mm to an accessible dual outlet cooker unit, one side for the hob, fit a 13a s/o beside other side of dual out let for the oven. The isolator will therefore control hob and oven.

Pictures of existing wiring of which all of it is being removed or replaced.

Therefore, I have ignored all other comments.

Sponsored Links
0.79kW oven
0.88kW oven + fan
1.5kW grill. (Missed that one)

If I connect 2.5mm from CCU to socket, what about the potential fault protection for the cable itself?

If I connect 2.5mm from CCU to socket, what about the potential fault protection for the cable itself?
It will be fine.

Overload protection (not really neeeded) will be by the fuse in the plug.
Fault protection will be by the MCB.

Can you just explain the rules to me how Fault protection is achieved connecting a 2.5mm cable to a 40A MCB (in a wall)
Thanks

Basically in a fault (assuming a compliant fault loop impedance) the protective device operates before the cable has time to get damaged.

Can you just explain the rules to me how Fault protection is achieved connecting a 2.5mm cable to a 40A MCB (in a wall)
Fault protection (as opposed to Overload protection) has nothing directly to do with the size of the cable. One could measure the fault loop impedance (EFLI) of a circuit, and thereby determine whether the circuit's MCB was providing adequate fault protection (i.e. acceptable disconnection time in the case of a fault), without having a clue as to what size cable was involved.

Kind Regards, John

So i've extracted snippets of the regulations in an effort confirm some of the suggestions above.

EFLImpudence suggestion does not meet 433.1.1(ii) and does not meet 433.1.1(iii).

2.5mm2 cable Ref Method B = 24A. * 1.45 = 34.8A. MCB = 40A

433.1.1.PNG

433.3 doesn't apply here. 433.2.2 does.

EFLImpudence suggestion of wiring a socket to a CCB is inline does not meet 433.2.2, would probably meet 433.2.2(i) and (<6 inches) does meet 433.2.2(ii).

433.2.PNG

EFLImpudence suggestion of wiring a socket to a CCB is would meet 433.3.1(ii)

433.3.1.PNG

And for fault protection:

EFLImpudence suggestion does not meet 434.2.1
434.2.PNG

Not sure if 434.3(iv) would apply here or not.

434.3.PNG

Based on these extracts, it would appear:
  • 2.5mm2 spurred socket is not permissible
  • 2.5mm2 socket from CCU is not permissible
  • socket in 2.5mm2 from 13A FCU wired from cooker isolator switch in 2.5mm2 or from CCU in 2.5mm2 is permissible
have I missed something?

Thanks
Mark

Yes, you can and there is.

The fuse will be in the oven plug - although, it can be argued it is not necessary.

I think this is not permitted by 434.2.1 but an FCU before the socket would be permitted.

It will be fine.

Overload protection (not really neeeded) will be by the fuse in the plug.
Fault protection will be by the MCB.

Yes I suppose you could argue that the fuse being downstream is sufficient, and the cable being in a fixed installation is sufficiently protected, and of a short length but it would be ignoring 434.2.1 "shall be no branch circuits or socket outlets"

Basically in a fault (assuming a compliant fault loop impedance) the protective device operates before the cable has time to get damaged.

Yes in a correctly designed and installed system, the fault impedance would be low enough to trip a 40A MCB. 230V/40A = 5.75ohms.
This doesn't account for an over current condition that is between 24A and 40A ish.

Or should I just assume that in future no-one would be daft enough to plug a multi-way into the socket under the counter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back