Hob & oven circuit

Stick to BS7671. Hang the OSG in the bathroom where it belongs.
An interesting observation is that if one did 'throw away' the OSG, and also the informative' Appendices of BS7671, then quite a lot of things that many people 'swear by' (as if they were regulations) would be lost - things like diversity guidelines, voltage drop guidelines, the question of what can be connected to an unfused spur from a ring final, etc. etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you are being serious.

Also not sure where the diversity factor comes from, though I can't believe it is solely down to the authors of the OSG.

Volt drop and spurs are dealt with in BS7671.

OSG H2.4 adds nothing to BS7671 regarding spurs and, indeed, contains one ridiculous limitation - number of unfused spurs.

Not sure if you are being serious.
I am.
Also not sure where the diversity factor comes from, though I can't believe it is solely down to the authors of the OSG.
I don't know either, but what is clear is that BS7671 says virtually nothing about it (even in an 'informative' Appendix) beyond mentioning that the concept 'may be applied' in appropriate circumstances. However, many people (including you and I) more-or-less 'assert' things such as "A total maximum cooking appliance load of X amps may be regarded as Y amps" - without having any idea as to who decided that (and how 'authoritative' those ' they' may be).
Volt drop and spurs are dealt with in BS7671.
In terms of detail, only really in 'informative' Appendices. In particular, the much-quoted (often as if they were 'regulations') 3% and 5% figures are only guidelines in an 'informative' Appendix. BS7671 itself says nothing specific about spurs from ring finals (other than that they are allowed to exist) and, as you know, it is perfectly possibly to design some spurs that would be 'in violation of' the guidelines of Appendix 15 (which, again, people often 'assert' as if they were regulations).
OSG H2.4 adds nothing to BS7671 regarding spurs and, indeed, contains one ridiculous limitation - number of unfused spurs.
I think that can probably be trumped for 'ridiculousness' ...
OSG said:
7.2.2 ...... As a rule of thumb for rings, unfused spur lengths should not exceed 1/ 8 the cable length from the spur to the furthest point of the ring.
It seems that a lot of what the OSG says about spurs is actually a prose version of the guidance in Appendix 15 of BS7671.

It is often said that, although not 'mandatory', demonstration of compliance with BS7671 is one way of demonstrating ('in law') compliance with Part P. I wonder if the same would be said of following the 'guidance' in the OSG?

Kind Regards, John

Diversity - It has, I believe, been around for decades and works, so...

Volt drop - 525 ?

Spurs - Circuits with spurs can be designed just as any other. As usual, I presume the OSG gives examples for no thinking.
Appendix 15B is more realistic than 15A which only has 2.5mm² and 1.5mm² conductors in the diagram - plus the 'one single or one double', for whatever reason, is silly.
Compliance with BS7671 can be achieved with other than the examples shown in Appendix 15.

Sponsored Links
Compliance with BS 7671 requires the exercise of reasonable skill and care when doing whatever you did and being able to certify that the work for which you were responsible was to the best of your knowledge and belief in accordance with it.

Someone with no knowledge of BS 7671 could not justifiably believe that they were working in accordance with it.

Then there's the disclaimer at the front of the OSG...

But does anything in the OSG actually contravene BS 7671? If someone were to limit unfused spur lengths to 1/8 the cable length from the spur to the furthest point of the ring they might be imposing an unnecessary restriction on themselves, but they wouldn't be contravening any regulations.

Diversity - It has, I believe, been around for decades and works, so...
The concept obviously has (and is conceptually totally reasonable), as undoubtedly have some guideline figures/calculations (which generally 'work'), but where do they come from? If you or I were, hypothetically, having to justify our use of a 'standard' diversity calculation (e.g. in a hypothetical Court of Law), we would have nothing go cite in our support other than the OSG, would we?
Volt drop - 525 ?
As I said, nothing particularly specific there. In the absence (which I imagine will usually be the case) of a 'relevant product standard', the only regulatory requirement is that VD should not impair the safe functioning of equipment - and I think you'd struggle a bit to think of (m)any items of equipment which would become 'unsafe' because they were supplied with a lower-than-intended voltage! For actual guidance (in particular, the oft-cited {'as if they were regulations} 3%/5%), 525 refers one to ('informative') Appendix 4.
Spurs - Circuits with spurs can be designed just as any other. As usual, I presume the OSG gives examples for no thinking.
Quite so. Ditto Appendix 15.
Compliance with BS7671 can be achieved with other than the examples shown in Appendix 15.
That's what I said in my last post. However, how often do we hear people 'asserting' that some proposal related to unfused spurs is "not allowed" (because it 'violates' something which Appendix 15 says, or sometimes merely because Appendix 15 does not even mention the possibility amongst its 'examples')?

Kind Regards, John

But does anything in the OSG actually contravene BS 7671?
I don't think that anyione has suggested that it does. It's certainly true that, when there is a difference, the OSG is almost invariably more restrictive/'conservative' than BS7671 - such that following OSG guidance will result in compliance with BS7671.
On the other hand, there are some situations (like diversity) about which BS7671 is essentially silent as regards details. One is therefore reliant on 'external' guidance (from OSG or wherever), and it's then less clear how one can decide whether or not what one has done is compliant with BS7671 (which says that diversity may be applied, when appropriate, but gives no indication as to what application of diversity would be 'acceptable')

I can only assume that any "being held to account" in a court would be happening because something terrible had taken place, in which case it would be right and proper for your decisions (which one assumes were suspected to have been wrong) to be scrutinised. The guidelines in the OSG have worked for a long time, so if you followed them and they did not work then that can only be because they were not appropriate to your situation, and would it not be reasonable for you, as designer, to have been aware that they were not appropriate?

The guidelines in the OSG have worked for a long time, so if you followed them and they did not work then that can only be because they were not appropriate to your situation, and would it not be reasonable for you, as designer, to have been aware that they were not appropriate?
The general concept of "I did it because that's what we've always done and it has always seemed to work" is not necessarily the soundest concept in existence. Given that the OSG contains quite a few things which (albeit usually erring on the side of conservatism/safety) are difficult to make sense of, I'm not sure how much confidence one can have in anything it says, particularly things which are not justified by explanations or reference to 'sources'.

However, I think my point is perhaps being missed. I personally have no problem at all with the 'standard' diversity calculations we do. Indeed, even if they were 'not appropriate', provided that the circuits were designed and installed satisfactorily, nothing catastrophic or terrible would result. I merely pointed out that were we, as suggested, to completely 'throw away'/ignore the OSG then, unless someone could find some other source of relevant guidelines, no-one would know what 'diversity calculations' to undertake.

I merely pointed out that were we, as suggested, to completely 'throw away'/ignore the OSG then, unless someone could find some other source of relevant guidelines, no-one would know what 'diversity calculations' to undertake.
Maybe anybody truly competent to do them would know.

Maybe anybody truly competent to do them would know.
In the absence of some external guidance (from those who had undertaken the tests etc.), unless they had personally undertaken extensive tests/investigations (which no individual will have done), there is no way that anyone could "truly" know what diversity calculation was appropriate.

Doesn't that general principle of knowing how to do design calculations apply to anybody studying and then practising any form of engineering?

Doesn't that general principle of knowing how to do design calculations apply to anybody studying and then practising any form of engineering?
In situations such as we are discussing, individuals cannot be expected to determine for themselves what calculations are appropriate, and what constants should be used for those calculations. Even if an individual somehow decided that an appropriate way of calculating after-diversity current in a particular situation was "the first X amps plus Y% of the rest), there's no way that they could determine for themselves the appropriate values of X and Y without doing extensive (and totally unrealistic) experimentation

I wonder how on earth we manage to find people who can design bridges which don't collapse, aeroplanes which don't fall out of the sky etc.

I wonder how on earth we manage to find people who can design bridges which don't collapse, aeroplanes which don't fall out of the sky etc.

Coming from you that is very interesting. When people first started building bridges and planes they did fail, because they were trying to find what would work and what wouldn't work, and their trials and experiments led them to the solutions.

But this is totally contrary to your belief that people should not try things out. if mankind adopted your mantra, even the wheel would never have been invented.:D

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back