Copper Pipe - Bending?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to pull a few slow bends in 22 MM copper pipe and wondered if it would be easier if I were to anneal the pipe first in the chosen area? If I did this do I risk any problems? I have a correct spring from when I was younger and took more risks :)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Bending 22mm with an internal spring is hard, especially on the knees. Annealing will help, but you ought to consider the alternatives - investing in a bender (£50ish?) or using 45° bends.

You can get a very reasonable pipe bender from Screwfix for £29 I bought one a couple of weeks ago and am having no problems with it.

As above I have also used 45Deg elbows..where bends would have been more difficult to get exact...with the price of copper dont want to waste too much copper!

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
fill it with sand, aneal it and benmd it in the fork of a tree.

blimey charlie you'll be telling to heat it on a charcoal burner next

:):):):)

So you carried a tree as part of your tool kit???

those were the days kev when men were men and sheep were worried,the modern eqv would be a lamppost for a tight bend or a parking bollard for a slow bend.personally i prefer to use the benders cheaper than gas. :LOL:

Paul Barker said:
fill it with sand, aneal it and benmd it in the fork of a tree.
Done that @ a farm ..with galv. steel didn`t need to heat it :LOL: :LOL: .........ingenuity=poverty here in the stix :cry:

Sandy in answer to your question(!) yes hand bending is easier if you have heated the pipe up first. You can cool it quickly too - some people think it'll harden if you quench it but it won't.

Slightly over-bend the pipe then straighten it a bit to free it from the spring.

An external spring is nice to use - no need to remove small internal burrs, but won't go as tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back